Duncan Distortion vs Black Winter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duncan Distortion vs Black Winter?

Had to listen to that demo again just for s&g.

Comment

you can always resell the black winter. the distortion is harder to sell. i can't even sell mine.
      Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
      http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

I have a DD that was in my Ibanez RG 2550 and now resides in my Agile LP copy. Honestly, I wouldn't put the DD in anything but a Mahogany guitar; it really came to life when I threw it in my LP copy. It sounded really thin in the Basswood Ibanez even though I had it tuned to B.

I don't know if your Jackson Soloist is made of Alder or what but given that many people say that the Black Vinter is kind of a tonal descendant of the DD, you might want to consider other options (the Parallel Axis Distortion is said to be a bit thicker than the DD, in addition to being compressed as hell).

Comment

Originally posted by p4vl View Post
          I have a DD that was in my Ibanez RG 2550 and now resides in my Agile LP copy. Honestly, I wouldn't put the DD in anything but a Mahogany guitar; it really came to life when I threw it in my LP copy. It sounded really thin in the Basswood Ibanez even though I had it tuned to B.

I don't know if your Jackson Soloist is made of Alder or what but given that many people say that the Black Vinter is kind of a tonal descendant of the DD, you might want to consider other options (the Parallel Axis Distortion is said to be a bit thicker than the DD, in addition to being compressed as hell).
          The Black Winter sounds great in a limba and black walnut, alder, and mahogany. I have tried it in those.

Comment

Hello,

The Black Winter Owners thread is a great resource if you are interested in picking up..this pickup (see what I did there?)

As far as comparing them to the distortions directly, I can only say that I'm one of those kats who likes to use an overdrive no matter how much gain my amp is capable of and with the Black Winters I don't feel like I need to all the time.

I have never used a Distortion Neck pickup. I can definitely tell you that the Black Winter SET is something very special. The neck pickup is amazing. All the details are in the Winter thread.

Enjoy your new pickups in good health.

~LD
            For the record, Lucy Diamond is a stage name and a movie reference and I'm a guy.

Also, the Dimarzio PAF Pros that came in my 1991 Blue Floral Ibanez Jem are some of the best paperweights ever made.

What are you doing right now? Thread.

Follow me on Instagram: @LucyDiamond777

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Diamond View Post

Hello,

The Black Winter Owners thread is a great resource if you are interested in picking up..this pickup (see what I did there?)

As far as comparing them to the distortions directly, I can only say that I'm one of those kats who likes to use an overdrive no matter how much gain my amp is capable of and with the Black Winters I don't feel like I need to all the time.

I have never used a Distortion Neck pickup. I can definitely tell you that the Black Winter SET is something very special. The neck pickup is amazing. All the details are in the Winter thread.

Enjoy your new pickups in good health.

~LD
              I’ve used the black winters in a BC Rich NJ Warlock they sound great but I’ve been finding the neck one a bit too bright sounding for some styles of metal, I haven’t used distortions but I’ve been thinking of putting one in my Warlock’s neck position to complement the brightness of the winter with something darker and grittier. My advice is try one of either and see if it works in your guitar or not because trying is the only way you’ll know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Megadethgal View Post

I’ve used the black winters in a BC Rich NJ Warlock they sound great but I’ve been finding the neck one a bit too bright sounding for some styles of metal, I haven’t used distortions but I’ve been thinking of putting one in my Warlock’s neck position to complement the brightness of the winter with something darker and grittier. My advice is try one of either and see if it works in your guitar or not because trying is the only way you’ll know for sure.
                That's a nearly 6 year old post you replied to, FYI.

I really wanted to like the Black Winter but just couldn't. I much prefer the Distortion, and in some applications the Invader. The Black Winter I had brought this ice-pickey high-mid I couldn't seem to get rid of that just drove me nuts. Never had that issue with any of the Distortion, Invader or HB103s I've had. Depending on what you play, I'd bet an Invader would sound amazing in an NJ Warlock.

At the end go the day, the resale market on all these options is strong so it's not like anyone is going to go bankrupt from buying one, then reselling it to buy another if it doesn't work for them.

Comment

Yes like Iron1 said ^^^, you want the Invader at the bridge.

My wmdWarbeast (3pc-maple neck-thru, nato wings, ebony, ofr) absolutely loves the Invader.
                  It's also a great pickup for parallel and split functions. Cleans aren't bad at all IMO, just roll the volume back or go to your neck instead.

If you are going to be rolling back the volume on the bridge then consider a treble-bleed or no-tone/1meg pots.

500k volume and no-tone works fine for what I want out of the bridge. It's a bright zingy guitar to begin with,,,nice lows too but a bit scooped in the mids.

Invaders will have more oomph to the lower-mids, and BW will have more of an out-front center to upper midrange.

Comment

Working...
                  X