True Humbucking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Humbucking

Hey guys cld ya tell me what is the correct way to get a humbuking tone: i.e is it Series Out Of Phase or Series In Phase.Its kind a confusing.
    Any one
    Last edited by Jocelyn; 02-14-2005, 08:47 AM.
    sigpic
    Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
    JFG Flying V,
    "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
    John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Re: True Humbucking

Anyone
    sigpic
    JFG Flying V,
    "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola

Comment

If you're talking about the coils of a humbucker, they're wired internally, out-of-phase. Because of the way the magnet lays under the poles, each coil has reverse magnet polarity, thus bringing the output voltage of each, back into phase.

Hope thats what you're asking.

Edit: Of course, if its a 4-wire pup, you wire them externally out-of-phase by tieing the red and white together.
      Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-14-2005, 09:20 AM.

Comment

as I've understood, they must be coupled in phase

The SD booklet says the following:

Adjustable coil
        Green = beginning (south)
        Red = end (south)

nonadjustable coil
        black = beginning (north)
        white = end (north)

to get standart humbucking you have to connect red & white toghther, green goes ground and black is hot.
        that would be:

beginning(north) -> end(north) -> end(south) -> beginning(south),
        which looks like out of phase (begin->end->end->begin).
        but if you consider, that south and north are reversed polarities they are actually in phase.

don't shoot me, if it's wrong, just what I understod...

greetz
        grams
        Epiphone LP Classic+ - Häussel Vintage AlNiCo2, Häussel Vintage+ AlNiCo2
        Ibanez RG - DMZ AirNorton(N), DMZ Steve's Special (B)

guitar ->TS5(mod) -> Morley Vol/Wah -> Ubermetal -> Small Clone(mod) -> PH5 -> volume pedal ->
        TubePoweramp -> Vintage30

Comment

ah, and another thing, as I read it:
          if they'd be out of phase there would be almost no singal coming through - except hum. the would cancel out everything equal they pick up...

greetz
          grams
          Epiphone LP Classic+ - Häussel Vintage AlNiCo2, Häussel Vintage+ AlNiCo2
          Ibanez RG - DMZ AirNorton(N), DMZ Steve's Special (B)

guitar ->TS5(mod) -> Morley Vol/Wah -> Ubermetal -> Small Clone(mod) -> PH5 -> volume pedal ->
          TubePoweramp -> Vintage30

Comment

Originally posted by grams
            The SD booklet says the following:

Adjustable coil
            Green = beginning (south)
            Red = end (south)

nonadjustable coil
            black = beginning (north)
            white = end (north)

to get standart humbucking you have to connect red & white toghther, green goes ground and black is hot.
            that would be:

beginning(north) -> end(north) -> end(south) -> beginning(south),
            which looks like out of phase (begin->end->end->begin).
            but if you consider, that south and north are reversed polarities they are actually in phase.

don't shoot me, if it's wrong, just what I understod...

greetz
            grams
            Yeah I understand that and thats how i wld wire all my humbuckers, I just wanted the correct tech know how.So when I wire them :red & white toghther, green goes ground and black is hot. I am actualy wireing them Siroes (but obviously ofcourse ) out phsae? or series In phase?
            Thats my Q.
            sigpic
            JFG Flying V,

Comment

The two coils in a humbucker are wound the same. So you connect them out-of-phase. (Red/white together.) Any external AC noise impacts the two coils the same. Since they're out-of-phase, the noise cancels. But, since the magnet lays with its north pole against one set of pole-pieces, and its south pole against the other pole-pieces, the string generates an out-of-phase voltage in both coils, which adds together in-phase, since the coils are out.

Does that make sense?

Look at this pic of a Custom that I took apart. You can just barely make out that the white wires come out of the top of the pic, and the black wires from the bottom of the coil:

Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-14-2005, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                The two coils in a humbucker are wound the same. So you connect them out-of-phase. (Red/white together.) Any external AC noise impacts the two coils the same. Since they're out-of-phase, the noise cancels. But, since the magnet lays with its north pole against one set of pole-pieces, and its south pole against the other pole-pieces, the string generates an out-of-phase voltage in both coils, which adds together in-phase, since the coils are out.

Does that make sense?

Look at this pic of a Custom that I took apart. You can just barely make out that the white wires come out of the top of the pic, and the black wires from the bottom of the coil:

LOL Yeah that does, so in short when I connect the red and white wires ground the green and the black is hot out put. I have connectted the coils of the pup out of phase with each other ( which they already are since the magnet lays with its north pole against one set of pole-pieces, and its south pole against the other pole-pieces). So they are actually at the end of all of it (like a sum in an algebra equation where - and - = +)In phase with each other.
                By the way that custom is cool i am going to rip apart my stock pups too.
                sigpic
                JFG Flying V,

Comment

It sounds like you have you're understanding of "phase" down pat.

Now . . . you just need to work on your algebra a bit. The sum of two negatives is still a negative.
                  The product of two negatives is a positive.

Comment

Hey!

Thanks to all of you for asking and answering; I don't have too many posts on this forum yet, but that's mainly because someone usually has already asked the same question that I was going to!

Gotta love it.

Comment

Working...
                    X