Dark mahogany guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark mahogany guitar

So, guitar with a fixed bridge (some sort of gotoh all in one jobby). All mahogany, currently with EMGs. I want to swap the EMGs out for a set of hot PAF type pickups. The guitar is really quite dark but acoustically projects well. With the EMGs, the mids can get a little nasal sounding so ideally the new pickups should remedy that a little.

This is for melodic metal, so smooth sounding is the aim of the game. Especially from the bridge pickup.

Re: Dark mahogany guitar

Personally I'd go with a set of covered 59's but if your looking for a little something extra perhaps a SH-5 or SH-14 in the bridge & either a 59N or SH-2in the neck? A Phat Cat in the neck would be pretty awesome too! They sound great in Mahogany & they'll pair up nicely with the SH-5 or Sh-14. I like to have some kind of single in the neck for cleans but that's me? As far as humbuckers go the Sentient is beautiful & it would definitely give you something a little bit more melodic up in the neck while still being quite useful in high gain situations...
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Dimebucker smooth like baby bottom.
      Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

I like the full shred in mahogany. They seem to balance each other well

Comment

This guitar may be a tricky one. If I'm honest, it does kinda sound bad full stop and I doubt I'll ever get the tones I'd like out of it..

With the EMGs, there is a severe spike in a couple of the frequency ranges. I would be happy if I could retain the punchiness which I think is going to come from the wood and construction anyway, but if I could just smooth out that bad mid-range spike that adds way too much in the way of, how to say, snarly mids... I know I'm inventing terms here, but trying to describe it. It's like there's plenty low end, the mid is there but sounds rough and the top end is not very pronounced. I thought the EMG 81 setup would help and it has to a point, but not really got me there.

The advantage is it tracks extremely well, it is one of my go-to guitars when I need to lay another guitar track on a song to compliment my main guitar track (one guitarist band project). But it's no way a main guitar.

I don't know if posting a clip could help...

Comment

If you overall like the sound currently except for a few spikey frequencies, I'd look into changing the bridge. I recently swapped out the stock Nashville bridge on my '70s Tribute Les Paul for a Graph Tech NVS/NVT bridge/tailpiece set. Man, it made a huge difference. My guitar sounds like what a real Les Paul should sound like. It rounded out the mids, smoothed the spikey highs up top, and boosted the low-end. Just wanted to throw out another option if you actually like the majority of the sound the EMGs are making, but want to tweak a few problem frequencies.

Comment

I believe your self credit was a slightly misappropriated. Snarling mids are Scott Splawn's invention.

I recommend stuffing an EMG 85 in the guitar and feeding it 18v to lift the headroom and minimize the preamp's rather harsh clipping.

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
                I believe your self credit was a slightly misappropriated. Snarling mids are Scott Splawn's invention.

I recommend stuffing an EMG 85 in the guitar and feeding it 18v to lift the headroom and minimize the preamp's rather harsh clipping.
                Hahaha, I didn't realize. Hopefully I have not infringed any copyright or trademarks.

I did try the 18v mod with the bridge position 81, but as there is an 85 in the neck, I may try flipping them round and trying an 85b 81n combo. It's worth a shot.

Comment

Here I like the Full Shred set. It is slightly scooped which should help with the darkness of the wood. They do metal well, and are hotter than PAF-styles. BTW, keep in mind the pots will have to be switched, as well as the jack....and you will have to add a ground wire to change from actives to passives.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Sometimes I find Duncan pickups nasally and Dimarzio whiney in guitars that resonate compressed upper mids.

Try the Alt 8 or a Custom with A8.

Also X2N has good presence but well balanced EQ. Kinda lacks character but with gain, it sounds smooth and modern rather than hairspray metal like JB or Super Distortion, and with less or none of Dimarzio typical whine / vocal tone

Maybe check out D Activator or D Activator X but I have no experience. Reviews sound like something you may like. Smooth.

Smoothest pickup is The Breed but too smooth IME. Some ppl like it though.
                    Last edited by marytakesadrag; 10-05-2015, 03:03 PM.

Comment

what amp are you running it through?
                      "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                      Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                        what amp are you running it through?
                        Various amps. But for this one, a Peavey 6505+.

Comment

Hmm, the Dimebucker in the bridge definitely would brighten it up but I'm thinking maybe the Whole Lotta set?

Comment

Originally posted by jonsick View Post
                            Various amps. But for this one, a Peavey 6505+.
                            6505 is a great amp especially for \m/ however they are warm/dark sounding. You may need need a brighter pickup than anticipated.

If my previous suggestions are too high output and/or modern, you may want to try PG, Slash set, PG A8, or anything with an A8 really. I heard JB A8 and Demon A8 are great too but personally don't know.

Generally, Duncan pickups aren't "smooth" unless you have a tube screamer and proper EQ, or if the pickup's magnet is A2 or A8.

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                              Dimebucker smooth like baby bottom.
                              This.

Dimebuckers go great in guitars that have gobs of mids.
                              Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Working...
                              X