Need wiring help please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need wiring help please...

Ok. What the frak!!! I just installed these lace finger burners into my ibanez rga121 and the neck pickup sounds crazy bright. Even brighter than the neck pickup!!!

When I first got the guitar, it had SD black winters. Same issue... The neck pickup was super bright. I changed the pickups thinking that would help but it's just as bad. The bridge pickup sounds fine... Check out the wiring diagram from SD that I used. Lace gave me a list of their coordinating color codes. They are as follows:

Lace Orange=Duncan Black
    Lace White and Orange/Black = Duncan White and Red
    Lace Green and White/Black = Duncan Green and Bare

I followed this to the T. What could be the cause of it sounding so bright?!?!
    Attached Files
    Check out my website and download my cd, Carousel @:
    http://www.johnmendozamusic.com

My Gear:
    PRS Custom 22 in Vintage Yellow
    Peavey Wolfgang Archtop
    Ibanez Jem 7EAFX
    EB MM Petrucci in Mystic Dream
    EB MM Morse Y2D in Purple
    EVH 5150 III mini

Re: Need wiring help please...

Originally posted by mystixboi View Post
    Ok. What the frak!!! I just installed these lace finger burners into my ibanez rga121 and the neck pickup sounds crazy bright. Even brighter than the neck pickup!!!

... Check out the wiring diagram from SD that I used. Lace gave me a list of their coordinating color codes. They are as follows:

I followed this to the T. What could be the cause of it sounding so bright?!?!
    In each switch position, did you tap the pickup coils to confirm which one(s) were actually on? Because if you followed that diagram to a T, then the 'neck' position of the switch would have the bridge pickup in single-coil mode. My reading of that diagram is:

1 (typically Neck) - bridge screw coil
    2 - bridge screw coil + neck screw coil
    3 - neck humbucking
    4 - neck humbucking + bridge humbucking
    5 (typically Bridge) - bridge humbucking

Comment

Re: Need wiring help please...

Conventional naming of the positions of a 5-way blade switch are that position #1 is the bridge pup and #5 is the neck pup. With the switch in position #1, the switch handle is pointing toward the bridge or tail end of the guitar. When the switch is in position #5, the switch handle is pointing toward the neck end of the guitar. Makes sense. So if you reverse the numbers in Beau's post it will be accurate.

So, according to your wiring diagram, when you think you are hearing the neck pup as "crazy bright", you are actually hearing the bridge screw coil! No wonder it sounds bright to you (if you are expecting to be hearing the neck pup).

Are you wanting to keep that wiring? Perhaps you are actually wanting a more typical Strat wiring?
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
      X