Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing first JB SH-4 - bare wire?

Hi everyone,

I'm replacing the humbucker in my Fender Mexican strat for the first time, with a Seymour Duncan JB SH-4. I'm new to this, but I'm taking my time and gaining as much info through guides, videos and forums.

I have just removed the original Fender humbucker, after noting/photographing where it was soldered. The Fender humbucker did not have a bare wire (it just had black, red, green and white) but the JB SH-4 does. My quick couple of questions are:

1. Am I doing the right thing by soldering the wires of the JB SH-4 in the exact same positions as the wires of the original humbucker was?
    2. Where should I solder this bare wire from JB SH-4?

Many thanks,

Lylio

Re: Replacing first JB SH-4 - bare wire?

Welcome to our forum! The bare wire always goes to ground. Here are the color code conversions:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PickupColorCodeChart.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	5788914
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mincer, and for explaining the ground wire.

And just confirm with respect to the conversion chart, do I simply exchange the Fender wiring for the Seymour Duncan? For example, my original Fender humbucker had the green wire ("North Start") connected to the bridge position of the selector switch - based on that chart, should I connect the black wire ("North Start") of the Seymour Duncan pickup to this location?

Thanks again.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2S_1SCH_5W_1V_2T.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	5788917

Or is this the correct wiring diagram I should follow?

Comment

I used the above diagram and it worked great. The JB SH-4 sounds amazing, really glad I did this!

Comment

Working...
          X