• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whaddya think of my pickup setup?

It's a bit of a weird combo, but that fits me just fine

Strat, with solid rosewood neck
    Duckbucker bridge
    Classic Stack (from about 1981) in the middle, with a series/parallel/split switch
    Rewound Quarter Pound (also from 1981) in the neck, with coiltap switch

Best sound I've gotten is all three pups on, full coils. Nice, sweet distinctive tone that's great for prog rock and Texas blues (with a tube amp, of course). What do you think of my odd mix of pups?

Duckbucker in bridge coupled with QP neck ??? Strange setup...

Tell me more about your Classic Stack... does it have the plain cover ?
    Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

I take it you only play clean or crunch songs, cos duckbuckers dont do overdrive..?
      Marshall JVM 410C
      Mesa Boogie DC-3
      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

The Classic Stack has a deep red cover with the "S" logo on it. Does the plain one have nothing on it? I bought it in 1981, if that helps.

And yeah, I use mostly clean sounds. The combo of the three gives a great sound for overdriven tubes, though. Real nice bluesy sound. My Strat has an FET preamp in it, which doesn't give a lot of boost, but it's great as a buffer preamp. So the Duck isn't a great overdrive sound on its own, but combined with others, it can be great. I use volume pots as mix controls to blend in the combined pickups, which lets me dial in just the right amount. Tricky to adjust, but real nice when it's right (sorta like Mesa Boogie amps, which I also use. 100,000 sounds, 99,000 of which are awful, but the good ones are GREAT!).

Comment

Working...
        X