banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some General PUP Questions, about what and how, they do what they do....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some General PUP Questions, about what and how, they do what they do....

Maybe your answers here will help others also

I have a pair of Humbuckers from a Hohner LP Copy, I L O V E the tone on open chords, but I hate the tone as you move up the neck. They get to be like a WAAAAAAAAAA sound, kinda like a wah pedal half way through its travel. They read 13.7K and I think they are ceramic mags.

First question is ...what causes that? How can they sound so perfect in open position and waahhhh as you move up?

I really dont feel its the guitar as I have had numerous pickups and none did this.

Ok, now on to some questions
    1. Magnets....what does a ceramic look like versus a alnico?
    2. What exactly do these different mags do to tone, in the same pup?
    3. Different strength mags..ie...stronger, and its effect on tone?
    4. Higher resistance and its effect on tone?

So, taking those pickups I have and swapping mags, from ceramic to alnico...will I change resistance? How can it effect tone? Anything I can do to get rid of that "vowel / wah" tone?
    Thanks for your help. Peace

Re: Some General PUP Questions, about what and how, they do what they do....

Comment

Part of this is simple . . . the rest gets into some complex pup dynamics.

The simple part:

The stronger the magnet, the stronger the magnetic field, and thus, the greater the voltage output for a given amount of string vibration.

From there it gets a bit muddy. The greater voltage will "drive" a greater amount of coil windings, but there's so many variables after that, it would be hard to give a cut-and-dried correlation to the affect on frequency response.

As for the "wah" affect you describe, as you bring your finger down the neck, you're shifting the harmonic node positions of the string. The structure of the harmonic content thats above the pup, is changing, thus the change in tone.

Comment

Thanks Artie...wheres the "simple" part? lol

Comment

I guess, what Im asking is what can the average guy do to change tone and what will it do? As in mag changes???

Comment

I know it changes the output and "character" of the pup, but others can explain better, in what way. In the mean time, you may want to peruse the Seymour Q & A, under Support. I usually open it in a new window, and just scan the topics for things that interest me while I check back here. There's some great info in there.

You may want to take note of these, to start with:

#12, 96, 99, 155, 391, 393, and 450.

I think it was 391 and 450 that address your question directly.
            Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-18-2005, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Docrock
              what can the average guy do to change tone and what will it do? As in mag changes???
              Changing the pickups is the simple part. Take out the old ones. Put in a couple of new Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros and yer set. End of problem.

You will be sooo happy you did. REaally. Try it.
              Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
              -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Toad
                Changing the pickups is the simple part. Take out the old ones. Put in a couple of new Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros and yer set. End of problem.

You will be sooo happy you did. REaally. Try it.
                Ive been through these...

JB
                Custom Custom
                DD
                EMG 81 85
                Live Wire Metal
                Duncan HB103
                500T
                lots of no names
                Not to be a ****, but Ive done my fair share of pup swaps and guitar repair, I was afraid my question was going to come off like some newbie...thats not the case. Ive asked similar questions before and got the same answer...from Artie...youd think someone here could give me some insight. I want to know how wire, wraps, resistance and mags change the tone....guess Ill just have to forget it.

the current pups are my fav in the open position, but suck up the neck, maybe I should just chuck the guitar in the dumpster...its only a Gibson LP Studio.........

Comment

Originally posted by Docrock
                  Ive been through these...

JB
                  Custom Custom
                  DD
                  EMG 81 85
                  Live Wire Metal
                  Duncan HB103
                  500T
                  lots of no names
                  Not to be a ****, but Ive done my fair share of pup swaps and guitar repair, I was afraid my question was going to come off like some newbie...thats not the case. Ive asked similar questions before and got the same answer...from Artie...youd think someone here could give me some insight. I want to know how wire, wraps, resistance and mags change the tone....guess Ill just have to forget it.

the current pups are my fav in the open position, but suck up the neck, maybe I should just chuck the guitar in the dumpster...its only a Gibson LP Studio.........
                  Hey man, don't forget it. It's great to experiment. Do it and have fun. I wasn't clear what you were really trying to get at. Check the Glossary and Tech tips on the Seymour Duncan site. Study the tone charts about magnets and resistances. If you do that, then you will get an idea of some of the differences between alnico/ceramic magnets and why different pickups sound differently.

Maybe it's not the pickup that's the problem. Maybe it's your amp?
                  I dunno.
                  Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
                  -Conrad Hilton

Comment

Working...
                  X