banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a HSS setup, do I need RW/RP Middle Single coil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a HSS setup, do I need RW/RP Middle Single coil?

Hey guys,
    I am building a HSS strat. I will be using a JB at the bridge split with a 5 way switch, then an SSL-3 in the middle and SSL-3 in the neck. I see usually with all single coil setups the middle is reverse wound/ reverse polarity for noise reasons.

Does duncan make a middle and neck specific SSL-3?

I did not see that specified on the website.

What do I need for the HSS setup for it to work best?

Anyone with used SSL-3's let me know, looking now for two.

Thanks for the thoughts in advance!

Re: Using a HSS setup, do I need RW/RP Middle Single coil?

We just had a similar discussion a few days ago. Try the search function (use RW/RP or HSS).
    Generally, for noise cancelling, you need to combine two PUs (or coils in a HB) with opposite winding and polarity. So, depending on which coil of the Bridge humbucker you leave active, you would need to use an RW/RP either in the middle or neck position.

If you leave the slug coil active (most common), the middle PU should be a regular. If you leave the screw coil active (like I do in my HSH strat), you need an RW/RP in the middle for hum cancelling in the 2 position.

Now, if the middle PU is a regular, the neck needs to be RW/RP to get hum-cancelling in Pos. 4.

The two options are:

1. Bridge: HB (slug coil) - Middle: SC (regular) - Neck: SC (RW/RP)
    2. Bridge: HB (screw coil) - Middle: SC (RW/RP) - Neck: SC (regular)

I hope that made any sense at all...

Comment

Re: Using a HSS setup, do I need RW/RP Middle Single coil?

Thanks,
      That makes perfect sense. It is the information I was looking for. I really appreciate your help.

Comment

Working...
      X