Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Intro to bass pickups

Hi,
    I'm trying to teach my bass and I'm wondering what the different types of pickups are.

There are the single coil J-bass style pickups.

I've also seen humbucker looking pups (like on some warwicks) which i assume are just like guitar humbuckers.

But what is the P-bass type? Are they single coil or humbucker? And how does the tone differ from the other two types?

I'm after a punchy tone with a nice deep low end. What kind of pickup config should I get?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Help: Intro to bass pickups

I've had good results with Dimarzio's Model J and Model T pickups. They are slightly hotter and deeper sounding. A p-bass pickup is 2 singecoils wired together to be humbucking. Leo Fender revisted this design with the G&L Commanche guitar.
    Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Thanks for your help.

So the P-bass pickup sounds just like a j bass pickup without the hum??

Comment

The P-bass p\u sounds different due to the way the wire is wrapped on a wider base then the jazz pickups. plus it is humbucking,on most Jazz basses you'll find two volume knobs when both are up full, the bass will be humbucking. When you turn either down it will switch to single coil, you'll be able to hear this happen at loud volume.
        Trainspotter

Comment

Let me know if you ever want to part with that Super Six. Great amps.
          Trainspotter

Comment

Working...
          X