WIRING QUESTIONS! help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIRING QUESTIONS! help!!

Is this necessary? The ground wires off the back of my volume and tone pots on my archtop guitar are grounded to the metal plate of the control switch that is attached to the wood of the guitar ... is that right? How can I tell if the pickups AREN'T grounded correctly. btw, i put in Phat cats and in the middle position, there is hum cancelling as expected and everything seems normal ...i'm just new at this so i was wondering

which schematic is correct or do they both accomplish the same thing ... it looks like the CAPS are in different locations on the 2 schematics ... i wired the cap like shown on stewmac website ... would it make a difference whether the CAP is on lug one of volume pot or lug 3 of volume pot??

Seymour Duncan schematic: http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...0_phatcat.html

Stewmac Schematic (the one i used before i found the SD one): is that a top view or bottow view though? i assumed bottom view http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...3.html#details

also, i used .020µF CAPS and the SD schematic looks like it recommends .047 CAPS .. what would the real difference be?
    Last edited by kgovero; 04-13-2004, 04:25 PM.
    - Fender Standard-Amer Tele: Vintage Stack (neck) - Little '59 (bridge)
    - 1956 Kay Archtop - Phat Cats in Neck & Bridge!
    - Alvarez-Yairi Acoustic DY84C
    - Traynor YCV20-WR

Re: What is the point of running a string ground?

If it ain't broke don't fix it!
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Re: WIRING QUESTIONS! help!!

They're both in the exact same place - from the center of the tone pot, to the end of the volume pot.

A .047 cap will have about twice the frequency rolloff as the .020. In other words, it will roll-off more highs. A more severe "tone" control.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
        They're both in the exact same place - from the center of the tone pot, to the end of the volume pot.

A .047 cap will have about twice the frequency rolloff as the .020. In other words, it will roll-off more highs. A more severe "tone" control.

On the SD schematic, the CAP is wired from the center of Tone POT to the Volume POT on the same spot where the lead (hot) wire of the pickup is soldered ... HOWEVER, on the Stewmac.com Schematic, the CAP is Wired from the center tone POT also but then it is grounded to the back of the volume pot AND THEN the lead (hot) wire from the pickup is going to the the other side of the volume POT instead of the same spot as the CAP (like in the SD schematic) what is the deal with that?
        - Traynor YCV20-WR

Comment

Ok . . . I see what you're talking about. Since the tone cap and the tone pot are wired in series, it doesn't matter which comes first in line. One schematic shows the cap first, the other shows the pot first. Electrically, they're identical. You can do it whichever way you prefer.
          Last edited by ArtieToo; 04-13-2004, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
            Ok . . . I see what you're talking about. Since the tone cap and the tone pot are wired in series, it doesn't matter which comes first in line. One schematic shows the cap first, the other shows the pot first. Electrically, they're identical. You can do it whichever way you prefer.
            ok, cool! that makes sense! thanks artietoo ... i was just worried that maybe i was missing out on something by wiring it different ... with that off my mind, the guitar sounds absolutely beautiful - so really, i should have just not worried about it
            Last edited by kgovero; 04-14-2004, 02:43 PM.
            - Traynor YCV20-WR

Comment

Working...
            X