Recommend me a good neck pickup to go with a PG bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me a good neck pickup to go with a PG bridge

Going in an Epiphone Les Paul and I already have the Pearly Gates but was discouraged against the PG neck. Any ideas?

Re: Recommend me a good neck pickup to go with a PG bridge

What is it that turned you off from the PG neck model?

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY
      What is it that turned you off from the PG neck model?
      was told it was mushy

Comment

It's not mushy at all.....it's not my favorite, but not mushy. What sound do you want? If it were me I'd stay with a pup that has an A2 mag like the PG(b) you've got. If not the PG(n), my next choice would be Seth Lover. Really smooth and vintage...great balance. Next would be the APH, although some find it too smooth, I love it above all others. Great Slash tone. I'll post a link to some clips I did with the Seth Neck and the PG neck in my Dean Hardtail. It weighs in at over 9.5 lbs so similar tone to a LP.

My Tunes

Scroll down about 8 songs and you'll see the Seth and PG clips labled. Fairly decent amount of gain on each, thru my JCM 800 miked with a SM 57.
        Last edited by Jeff_H; 04-13-2004, 06:57 PM.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
          It's not mushy at all.....it's not my favorite, but not mushy. What sound do you want? If it were me I'd stay with a pup that has an A2 mag like the PG(b) you've got. If not the PG(n), my next choice would be Seth Lover. Really smooth and vintage...great balance. Next would be the APH, although some find it too smooth, I love it above all others. Great Slash tone. I'll post a link to some clips I did with the Seth Neck and the PG neck in my Dean Hardtail. It weighs in at over 9.5 lbs so similar tone to a LP.

My Tunes

Scroll down about 8 songs and you'll see the Seth and PG clips labled. Fairly decent amount of gain on each, thru my JCM 800 miked with a SM 57.
          Jeff:
          What would you think about the Jazz neck pickup? I hear good things about that one.

Comment

I wouldn't consider it mushy at all. Maybe "creamy" is a better term for me anyways. Jazz neck rules..for me anyways.

Comment

I don't have any experience with the Jazz. Plenty of guys here love it....I've just not tried it.
              My Sound Clips

Comment

I recently fitted a sets of Pearlys to one of my Pauls, complete with nickle covers and I love them. I also would describe the neck pup as more creamy than mushy. However, if you are swapping from a pup with an A5 mag to the PG (which features an A2) you will notice a softer attack. I wouldn't describe it as mushy though - try warmer (IMO).
                I'll give you everything but my guitar and my car

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I wouldn't consider it mushy at all. Maybe "creamy" is a better term for me anyways. Jazz neck rules..for me anyways.
                  The PG is anything but mushy. It is SUPER creamy, which some people (like me) love. The PG set is incredible and you couldn't go wrong with them in both positions.
                  Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

I used to play straight Pearly Gates in my Epi Les Paul, but I swapped the bridge pup out for a Custom and never looked back. The PG/PG combo is a great duo, but I wanted a little more punch to the bridge and after installing a Custom in my Epi G400 and loving it I decided on putting one in my LP, too. The Custom is one of my top 3 favorite SD pickups.
                    I have a Schecter C-1 with the Jazz/JB combo in it, and I really like that Jazz p.u. in the neck. If I was to replace the PG in the neck of my LP, I would put a Jazz in there. Smooth, clear, great tone. BUT, to keep the magnets matched up since the Custom has a ceramic magnet and the Jazz an Alnico, I would probably go to a Seth Lover in the neck instead. I never tried one but I've read some pretty reliable reviews on it here at the forum and think it would a great pup to try.
                    I had a '59 in the neck once in the LP, but thought it sounded a little dark.

Hope any of this helps,

-Bob

Comment

I like the PGb/Jazz combo. The Jazz does not out-fat the PGb like others may.

Here is a tune that I did with a PGb/Jazz combo
                      PGb, Jazz, LP, Marshall 2204
                      My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Working...
                      X