Air Zone vs. JB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Zone vs. JB

I am looking to replace the JB in my Epi Les Paul. I love the pick-up, but it just seems too bright running into my marshall(so im gonna try something else). I was wondering how the Air Zone compares to the JB. I heard it would tame the highs and have a lot of bottom end. Should i try out the Air Zone?

Re: Air Zone vs. JB

I just replaced an AirZone with a JB in my guitar and I would say that they are both great pickups. However, they are similar in high end brightness, with the AirZone possibly being a little brighter. I do not consider either of these pickups to be "bright." The Jazz is bright to me, so is the '59, though not in a bad way necessarily.

The JB is higher output, with more upper mids and a sharper attack. The airzone is like a fat PAF with more mids, low mids and deeper lows. The lows are not as defined as the JB's however, but they are not mushy either.

Anyway, when i first installed the JB, it was too high, and the output was too much. Try lowering your JB, this will warm up the tone, lower the output which can seem too intense with the JB, and generally improve the tone.

Or, try the AirZone, it is a nice pup also, but do you need all those lows in an LP?
    Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

I agree and disagree with the prior post. I just recently pulled a JB out of a Wolfgang and replaced it with an Air Zone. Granted that we are talking too different guitars which is where the disagree comes in. In the Wolfgang the Air Zone is not "bright" and does have good, solid bottom end. Does it sound like a Jb? I dont think so. I actually talked with a Duncan tech as I wanted to buy a Duncan for it but the tech told me that the Air Zone is a reveresed eq'd Jb and that they had nothing to match it, stock anyway. If I wanted to part with a hundred plus dollars I could have the custom shop make one or just bite the bullet and buy the Dimarzio. The other difference in tone is the Air bucker technology, which I am totally in love with. Now for the agreement, I think in your LP, a JB would be a good fit. I think an Air Zone or Tone Zone for that matter would sound very bassy/muddy and you wouldn't be happy. Try working wtih the JB, adjust the height of the pickup and when you find the "sweet spot" then try adjusting the screw heads on the bobbin to finish dialing it in.

Best of luck!!

Comment

How heavy is your LP? Not all LPs are super bassy. My LP is a little over 8 lbs and seems fairly balanced tonally and maybe a tad bright, but still deep and rich sounding. I always prefer pickups with fat bass and mids even in an LP guitar but that is my preference. I like the pickup to have a big footprint so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by walt
          Granted that we are talking too different guitars which is where the disagree comes in. In the Wolfgang the Air Zone is not "bright" and does have good, solid bottom end. Does it sound like a Jb? I dont think so. I actually talked with a Duncan tech as I wanted to buy a Duncan for it but the tech told me that the Air Zone is a reveresed eq'd Jb and that they had nothing to match it, stock anyway. Best of luck!!
          Walt,

Perhaps you misunderstood or misread my post. I do not think either the Air Zone or the JB are bright pickups, but I do think the Air zone has more highs. Also, both pickups have plenty of lows, but the AirZone has more bass. The JB has a crisper, more focused, or more defined bottom end, in my guitar anyway, than the Air Zone did.

I also said that while the JB has more upper mids, the Airzone has more lower mids, which is in agreement with what the Duncan rep told you about reverse EQ.

I also did not say the two sounded alike, although they are similar in that they have fat, biting tones, just EQ'd differently.

So, i think we are in agreement here
          Last edited by hacker; 04-13-2004, 09:32 PM.
          Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

Originally posted by hacker
            Walt,

Perhaps you misunderstood or misread my post. I do not think either the Air Zone or the JB are bright pickups, but I do think the Air zone has more highs. Also, both pickups have plenty of lows, but the AirZone has more bass. The JB has a crisper, more focused, or more defined bottom end, in my guitar anyway, than the Air Zone did.

I also said that while the JB has more upper mids, the Airzone has more lower mids, which is in agreement with what the Duncan rep told you about reverse EQ.

I also did not say the two sounded alike, although they are similar in that they have fat, biting tones, just EQ'd differently.

So, i think we are in agreement here
            To my ears in a wolfgang, the jb is too bright, I agree about the 59 and jazz being too bright also, but I'm also talking about them in a Wolfgang. I dont think that the Air Zone is brighter than the Jb, the Jb may have more output. How could a pickup eq'd with more bass and lower mids be brighter than one that has more upper mids?? That's my opinion anyway, keep in mind that my ears are 50yrs old and have spent the last 38 play loud rock and roll, maybe time is catching up with me

Comment

the JB and air zone are opposites to my ears, the JB is sharp, cutting,screamig and the air zone is deep,punching,thumping
              the air zone is smoother also,and has more bottom and low mids girth on the high strings.

Comment

I am going to side with Hacker here.

I also have a JB and Air Zone. I find the pickups to be very similar in the sense that they are pickups that are designed to take into consideration that the bridge position is BRIGHT and in need of some warmth and full body.

Both pickups roll off the upper regions of the treble to warm up that position. Both are alnico V magnets.

Both pickups have nice healthy mids. But the JB's mids are upper mids which can SOUND like the pickup is bright, but it actually has less treble than many pickups (like a Custom or C5).

The Air Zone's mids are voiced a bit lower than the JB. The JB is louder and a TINY drop less clear. A bit more "snarl". The Air Zone is a slightly clearer pickup and all the upper end is clear as well, so maybe the "open-ness" of it can give the perception of being a bit brighter? Neither are bright pickups. I would say that both are solidly in the category of "warm and vocal".

And the Air Zone has a bit more bass than the JB, but in the mix with a band, the mids of both pickups is really what you hear.

Both cut exceptionally well with nice healthy full bodied tone, the JB's voice being a little higher pitched.

But both are similar pickups, no doubt.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
                buggjuice.net
                MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Mac, I am going to buy a Rio BBQ and send it to you if you don't find one to try soon!
                  Seriously, your likes and dislikes, not to mention the description of the pickups you enjoy.....point to the BBQ as the go-to pickup for you. I have tried the JB in three guitars and also tried the C-5, having yet to try the Cusotm and can honestly say the BBQ is so thick, juicy, warm, fat, and chunky you might just be in heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by walt
                    That's my opinion anyway, keep in mind that my ears are 50yrs old and have spent the last 38 play loud rock and roll, maybe time is catching up with me
                    See, there you go.

It is well known that long-term exposure to loud music causes a decreased ability to hear highs, especially in electric guitar pickups.

I am only 34, and have only been abusing my ears for 20 years.

Seriously though, the wolfgang must be a brighter guitar than my mahogany tele. I know the air zone has more lower mids and bass than the JB, but it also has slightly more highs. You could say the whole pickup has a wider range from top to bottom.

either way, they are both great pickups and proof that duncan and dimarzios can live together in harmony.

Comment

I haven't been here a while, and had to re-register again. (Formerly known as GoldenBuff96)

Anyway, I have both pups and here is my observation:

Treble - about the same, slight edge to the JB
                      Mids - AirZone has more lower mids
                      Bass - Definitely Airzone

General observation - The JB has higher output and can cut through the mix better (edgier and brighter). The Airzone is "warmer" and thicker sounding. The Airzone is a strange beast, it has noticeable mids and bass, yet it still retain the clarity and cleanliness (usually - mid/bass heavy pups tend to get muddy). Once again, this is just my personal opinion.

Papersoul - were your former username "RICH"? If so, still haven't found the right pup huh? I'll tell you again, like I'd told you before, what you want is a low output put with high clarity. Combine it with a high-output amp and pedals will give you all the "cut" you want in a heavy mix.

Edit:
                      Papersoul - IMHO, if you don't like the BBQ, then you probably won't like the AirZone.
                      Jon87 - Yes, I would highly recommend the Airzone as well as the CC if you want to warm up the bridge. The SuperDistortion is also warmer than the JB, but not by much.
                      Last edited by Kokopelli; 04-14-2004, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Hi Goldenbuff96!

I actually did find the right pickups for my two Hamers....BBQ in both.

This is a new Les Paul that had stock Burstbucker Pros...lower output and bright. The bright aspect was killing me! I now have the C-5 but still I don't have the thickness I like and may end up going the Custom or BBQ route.

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
                          Hi Goldenbuff96!

I actually did find the right pickups for my two Hamers....BBQ in both.

This is a new Les Paul that had stock Burstbucker Pros...lower output and bright. The bright aspect was killing me! I now have the C-5 but still I don't have the thickness I like and may end up going the Custom or BBQ route.
                          if you like a custom 5 but need more meat to the tone the air zone is perfect for that! same type of paf tone with more fat

Comment

Working...
                          X