Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Saturday Night Special Demo

Originally posted by mesa0131 View Post

Since no one here seems to have had first hand experience with the SNS, I will be sure to report back once I have had some time to put them through the paces!
    Keep scrolling down to the other SNS thread - the one with over 4K views. ;-)

I have comments and a link to a review based on my firsthand evaluation.

Edit: over 6k views. My bad. ;-)

Comment

Re: New Saturday Night Special Demo

Kinda seems like an A4 Brobucker, with the A4 being slightly weaker and thinner blended with the hotter Bro wind, you get a rocking but bitey articulate tone.

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post
        About time!!! These are flipping sweet!!!!
        I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
          It would've been nice to know what amp or modeler was used to produce those tones.

Also, the guitar used on the demo again has the neck p'up placed way behind the 24-fret harmonic node, so the neck p'up will sound thicker on a 22-fretter like a LP.

I'm seeing this a a pattern present on most SD-produced demos made since the inception of the new site, and I wonder why is so?
          The pattern I'm seeing is a pup set that closely emulates that of my Tom Holmes A4 set with DCR specs of 7.87K Ohms NK and 8.72K Ohms BR which is only about 1K difference between Seymour's Saturday Night Special bridge and my Tom Holmes bridge.
          The rest is all fluff as to whether it's a Kemper or Fractal Audio Axe Fx. I listened more for the EQ response from the A4 pickups in Doug R's SG than I did the external devices he was using since I'm vacillating back and forth myself on which pickups to use in my SG's pickup slots. Tom Holmes A4 set or Seth Lovers with a A3/UOA5 or UOA5/UOA5 magnet swap.
          Last edited by Southbound Suarez; 08-06-2016, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Still I think that a video showing only one pickup CAN'T give you the exact sound. There are so many variables it gets impossible to understand the real feel, you have to put at least two sounds to compare it. who knows what amp is, what eq, what is the sound of the wood?

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
              Still I think that a video showing only one pickup CAN'T give you the exact sound. There are so many variables it gets impossible to understand the real feel, you have to put at least two sounds to compare it. who knows what amp is, what eq, what is the sound of the wood?
              You do hear the bridge and neck positions in the video, and whether or not he's using plug ins, amp emulation or a real amp you can still get a good grasp of the frequency response of these pickups.

Comment

Well, you see the Friedman mic'd up, but there's also a sizeable pedalboard in the equation that might or might not contain eq and/or tone colouring pedals.
                I understand completely that SD wants to show this pickup's maximum potential with great production values, but I'd personally much rather hear:

Some straight to amp stuff, with said amp being one we all know (and can afford) like a simple JCM800 or a Vox AC30 for example. Maybe use some Duncan pedal to boost it and kill two birds with one stone.

Some mid solo pickup switching and volume cleanup.

And, since the neck pickup should take care of any mud in that position, I would have really liked to hear that pickup perform in the neck position of the guitar that most frequently produces problems in the neck position: a Les Paul. Preferably the darker sounding kind like a Custom.

That's just me though. No offense meant.

Comment

As more of these get out in the wild, I am sure we will see more videos out there, from us as well as magazines, reviewers, and end users.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Wonder how they'd work for Allman Bros toans?
                    "Scalloped & Stickered"
                    A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      As more of these get out in the wild, I am sure we will see more videos out there, from us as well as magazines, reviewers, and end users.
                      Looking forward to that. Judging from the specs, this seems like the PAF set my Les Paul has been waiting for.

Comment

sounds like a nice over wound paf set. curious how they sound clean through an old fender

Comment

Originally posted by El Supremo View Post
                          Looking forward to that.
                          There's been at least one review posted since 07/20: http://darthphineas.com/2016/07/seym...night-special/

It's also been talked about a little more in-depth at the other SNS thread.

Comment

sounds rounded and soft, and somewhere in between a pearly gates and a custom 5
                            Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                            http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Originally posted by El Supremo View Post
                              Well, you see the Friedman mic'd up, but there's also a sizeable pedalboard in the equation that might or might not contain eq and/or tone colouring pedals.
                              I understand completely that SD wants to show this pickup's maximum potential with great production values, but I'd personally much rather hear:

Some straight to amp stuff, with said amp being one we all know (and can afford) like a simple JCM800 or a Vox AC30 for example. Maybe use some Duncan pedal to boost it and kill two birds with one stone.

Some mid solo pickup switching and volume cleanup.

And, since the neck pickup should take care of any mud in that position, I would have really liked to hear that pickup perform in the neck position of the guitar that most frequently produces problems in the neck position: a Les Paul. Preferably the darker sounding kind like a Custom.

That's just me though. No offense meant.
                              I think what you're asking is more than fair. If a pup is advertised as being best for country, jazz, blues, rock, or heavy rock then yes, it should be profiled by playing straight through an amp and preferably by an artist who is great in that (style/vein) of playing so as to really hear the nuances of the pup.

Comment

Originally posted by Rand-O-Monium View Post
                                Wonder how they'd work for Allman Bros toans?
                                Well, OX4 "Hot Duane" humbucker set, and the Sheptone "Blue Sky" humbucker set (Duane and Dickie respectively) both utilize A4 magnets if that is of any consolation. Both humbucker sets curiously have an average Bridge DCR of 8.4K Ohms.

I would imagine that for A4 and A3 magnet humbuckers, it would be beneficial utilizing moderate DCR winds due to less magnetism than you would see from an A5, A8, Ceramic 8, etc., magnet.

Comment

Working...
                                X