Potential Wiring Diagram for HHH Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Wiring Diagram for HHH Strat

First time poster here but wanted to see if you good folks can take a look at my wiring diagram for a HHH Strat that I'm building and tell me if you see any issues. I'm using the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set (SH-2N and SH-4B) for the neck and bridge PUPs and a JB Jr single coil sized humbucker for the middle PUP. I plan to use a standard 5 way blade switch and want to keep it's functionality as per standard on a Strat:
    1 - Neck
    2 - Neck+Middle
    3 - Middle
    4 - Middle+Bridge
    5 - Bridge

I plan to use three push-pull pots for the volume and two tone controls where each of the pots splits the coil of a particular pickup. In other words Volume pot splits the Neck PUP, Tone 1 pot splits Middle PUP, and Tone 2 pot splits Bridge PUP. I figure this way I get a pretty good selection of split/full humbucker options when combined with the standard 5 way switch. I built this wiring diagram after looking at numerous Seymour Duncan humbucker diagrams and have somewhat merged different bits and pieces to come up with what I think will work in the configuration I want. Would appreciate some of you experts looking at this to tell me if I made any mistakes!

Note: The PUP wire colors are IAW Seymour Duncan's PUP color code; the other wire colors on the diagram are random in order to make it easier to see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Strat HHH Split Coil Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	5841281

Re: Potential Wiring Diagram for HHH Strat

id wire up the humbuckers to split from a single switch, forgo spitting the middle one and use the other to switches for either parallel or out of phase wirings,using one switch to put all/some of the pickups in series or making one switch a neck always-on

i personally think putting a humbucker in parallel is a more useful sound that split.. but thats my opinion

in any case my suggestions would give you the you the most sounds and optimizing the use of the switches

Comment

ill draw it up if you want.. just gotta tell me what you would like

Comment

Originally posted by Brandenburg View Post
        ill draw it up if you want.. just gotta tell me what you would like
        Much appreciated - please draw up a wiring diagram as you described in your first post - setting up series/parallel switching. Thanks!
        Last edited by tabbyplague; 07-20-2016, 05:43 PM.

Comment

ill work on it tonight or tomorrow morning.. multiple pickups in series or individual pickups in parallel.. ?

ill try a to give you a few different options....

Comment

Thanks Brandenburg your wiring diagram may be what I'm looking for too

Comment

Originally posted by irontrain View Post
              Thanks Brandenburg your wiring diagram may be what I'm looking for too
              ill have to find what I gave the op.. i slept since then..LOL ill look at my PM sent folder in as few

Comment

here is what I gave the OP.. I dont think i could do everything he wanted or I thought I could do because of limitations but I believe he was happy.. mainly, there was no way to wire the humbuckers in parallel as I was already using the red/white wire for the coil splits.. NOW, if you use an on/on/on DPDT instead of a push/pull, you can do it all in one switch.. series/split/parallel . Now, I did wire the humbuckers in series with the others though

Comment

First time poster - old thread I know. I am just getting started with guitar wiring - electrical circuits, phases, potentiometers... I'm getting a headache.

I have a few questions about the diagram posted by Brandenburg above - forgive me if they are obvious, or if I am incorrect.

- I assume the Bridge Tone DPDT is supposed to be for the bridge pickup, but it looks like the neck pickup is also wired to it. Can someone explain this? Is this switch intended to get neck and bridge out of phase when pulled?

- Also, on the same pot, the bottom right lug appears to have a ground connection directly to bridge green wire. How does that work? Should the wire be green in the diagram?

- On the N+M tone pot: I assume the first "push" is a typo and should say "Pull'? If not, why?

- Same pot: it says M in series with B or N, but I don't see any neck connections to that pot? Does that bottom right lug on the bridge tone pot connecting to the bridge ground somehow bring the neck into play on the N+M pot since the neck IS wired to the bridge pot? Whew.

- Is the blue wire going across the middle and neck out puts on the switch mean that it is wired to both of the outputs?

I have a feeling that some of these results are dependent on the positions of the push/pull in relations to each other - i.e they work in combination in certain positions. Example - N+M pot pulled in combination with bridge pot pulled has one result, while N+M put pulled and bridge pot pushed has a different result. Am I correct?

Appreciate answers in advance - thanks!

Comment

If I only hear 3 hunbucker pickups in one guitar, my right hand knuckles start to bleed...just sayin'
                    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Wire it same as an SSS strat, except for the coil tap part... which you can wire however (or not at all) to taste
                      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                        Wire it same as an SSS strat, except for the coil tap part... which you can wire however (or not at all) to taste
                        I plan to use push/pull pots for different options (coil split, out of phase, series vs parallel, etc) so I that is why I am looking to clarify that diagram,

Comment

Working...
                        X