banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Seymour have a tele in mind when he designed the Jazz/JB...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Seymour have a tele in mind when he designed the Jazz/JB...

combo?

Now I know he's a big fan of telecasters. To me, the characteristics of the Jazz/JB combo is similar to the two pickups in a telecaster.

In a telecaster, you have a relatively weak but clear neck pickup, and a strong bridge pickup with a biting tone. Same as the Jazz/JB combo. Albeit, the Jazz and JB are both much fatter sounding because they are humbuckers, and the jazz is more usable then the neck pup of a tele. Also, they are clearly not PAF copies, which have always been popular with players.

So what about it Seymour (or official Duncan rep)?
    Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Re: Did Seymour have a tele in mind when he designed the Jazz/JB...

well the originals were wound to be installed in a tele, but i don't think they were based off the original tele pickups at all. Both of my teles have a stronger neck nickup than the bridge pickup. The jazz neck is more mid/high oriented and my tele neck pickups are not. I would have to say just from playing a lot of teles that they were not designed after the tele pickups but were designed to be put into an ash body with a bolt on maple neck.
    Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Re: Did Seymour have a tele in mind when he designed the Jazz/JB...

" I had to rewind a broken pair of old Gibson '59 "Patent Applied For" humbuckers that were damaged when the covers were removed. The pickups were from an old smashed '59 Gibson Flying V that was painted black and once belonged to Lonnie Mack. Lonnie often played in Cincinnati, Ohio and lived nearby in the state of Indiana. It was hard finding the magnet wire needed for winding the coils. I found the wire at a motor repair shop and ended up with two different rolls of wire for winding the coils. I used the heavier gauge to wind the neck pickup also because I had only a small amount. I used the finer wire to wind the bridge pickup because I could get extra turns on the bobbins for increased sustain, harmonics and output."

"The neck pickup is zebra with the cream stud bobbin facing the bridge and the black adjustable bobbin facing towards the neck. The bridge pickup is double cream and an original '59 Patent Applied For humbucker. The 6 adjustable 5/40 fillister screws are adjusted so the bottom of the head is about flush with the top of the bobbin."

"Several years later I wanted to make the same pickups with the winding specs I used on Jeff's "Tele-Gib". I called the neck pickup JM-neck for John Milner whose one of Jeff's favorite characters in the movie "American Graffiti" but later changed to Jazz Model-neck so a player could better indentify with it for it's clean smooth tone. The bridge pickup became the JB because you can play Jazz and Blues with it. Thanks...Seymour W. Duncan "

Comment

Working...
      X