banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a humbucker be split with a three way switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a humbucker be split with a three way switch?

In a 2 pickup 1 volume 1 tone 3 way switch setup. I'm only going to use 1 pup. Can I split it using the 3 way switch or would the spin-a-split with tone control be better.
    Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Re: Can a humbucker be split with a three way switch?

yes. i dont know how. i have done it before but im not about to take apart my guitar to find out. its easy to figure out. try to figure it out.
    Down at the edge, close by a river.
    Close to the edge, round by the corner.
    Close to the end, down by the corner.
    Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSteve
      In a 2 pickup 1 volume 1 tone 3 way switch setup. I'm only going to use 1 pup. Can I split it using the 3 way switch or would the spin-a-split with tone control be better.
      ya you could, but that would only take 2 positions of the 3 way, what would you do with the 3rd one?

anyway, just attach the red and white leads from the pickup to either(NOT BOTH) the left or right lug(where you would normally attach a hot lead) then, attach the 2 middle terminals(that usually are the output) to the ground(so there is one terminal, the one on the opposite side of where you attached the red and white leads, without anything on it). then ground the 3 way switch with the normal ground terminal. this should make it so that when the switch is up (or down, whichever terminal you attached the white and red leads to determines this) it will be split, and in the middle, it will also be split, but when its flipped to the 3rd position it will be a normal humbucker...

i'm pretty sure that would work...
      Last edited by HolyDirt; 04-13-2004, 09:19 PM.

Comment

If you use the "Alco style" 3-way, you can easily wire it up so that in the middle, you have normal humbucker operation. Switch "up" for stud coil, switch "down" for adjustable coil. (Somewhere, around here, I have a diagram of this.)

I'll post it when I get home. But its just a matter of connecting the black wire to one of the "open" terminals, the green to the other, and the red/white combo in the middle.

Comment

O.K. Thanks alot, guys.
          Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

This is it in its simplest form, showing one p'up only:

Comment

You could use a on/on/on switch and get series/split/parallel or you could use a center off switch and get series/parallel. Parallel coils sound MUCH better than split coils! The only problem with a center off switch is you get a significant bleed through. So you might just want to try a 6 pole on/on switch for series/parallel. If both pickups are four conductor run them to the on/on switch and then to your normal LP style switch.

Snowdog

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                This is it in its simplest form, showing one p'up only:

i don't see how this could work... i'm prolly just really stupid, though

Comment

Originally posted by who really cares
                  i don't see how this could work... i'm prolly just really stupid, though
                  ya see, when the switch is up, it uses the top 4 poles, so the red/white leads are attached to the hot lead(black),this makes the screw coil on, but eh other off, when its down, the white/red leads are attached to the ground, this makes the stud coil on, but the screw coil off. then in the mid position everything connects and makes it a humbucker

Comment

Originally posted by HolyDirt
                    ya see, when the switch is up, it uses the top 4 poles, so the red/white leads are attached to the hot lead(black),this makes the screw coil on, but eh other off, when its down, the white/red leads are attached to the ground, this makes the stud coil on, but the screw coil off. then in the mid position everything connects and makes it a humbucker
                    Yes, thats correct, except that, when wired this way, in the middle position, everything is disconnected, making for normal humbucker operation.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                      Yes, thats correct, except that, when wired this way, in the middle position, everything is disconnected, making for normal humbucker operation.
                      Yep. That is how my Tele Plus Deluxe is wired.
                      Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

Working...
                      X