Sway me in right direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway me in right direction

OK, just need insights as I tend to get overwhelmed when searching for new pickups. Backdrop is as follows:
    Got another guitar, alder string through body, maple neck with rosewood FB. Dual HB. Want to switch out the pu's with something familiar but different than my others. I don't like EMGs, I have same guitar with Gibson 489 set and although it is my main guitar I do hear a little bit of brittleness and fizz. I've been looking at most manufacturers and see pros/cons...I was leaning to a basic setup of JB/jazz but have been told it wouldn't sound much different from the 498 set. I like what I hear in the DiMarzio dominions but have been told they might get "honkey". Another 1 I'm looking at is the new EVH Franky with a jazz for the neck.

I play in the style of Corrosion of Conformity, down, with some basic metal/rock/blues thrown in. For amps I run a EVH 5150 III 50w and an Orange Dark Terror.

With this info, please point me in the right direction...Open for any and all suggestions!
    Greatly appreciated
    Guitars:
    2019 PRS CE24, 2002 Carvin, 2010 Epiphone 335 dot, custom tele, 5 Peavey V Type's (DMZ SD/paf pro, JB/59, JB8/Jazz, EMG 57/66, and Full shred) Esp/Ltd (Invader set), Jackson DKMGT (EMG 81/85)
    Amps: Orange Dual Dark 100, Dark Terror, Micro Dark, CR120, EVH 5153 50w
    Cabs:Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12, EVH 4x12/2x12, Geezer 2x12 with v30's

Re: Sway me in right direction

pepper uses pearly gates and anderson h3 pups, i think woody uses the same. both use boogie rigs as far as i know, 50 cal + for pepper and dual rec for woody. 25w greenbacks is a big part of their sound too

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      pepper uses pearly gates and anderson h3 pups, i think woody uses the same. both use boogie rigs as far as i know, 50 cal + for pepper and dual rec for woody. 25w greenbacks is a big part of their sound too
      This I have read, and I know both favor an invader...Which, btw of tonight's greatest jam night, is why I'm ordering it. It has everything that want. Crushing, amazing to my ears!
      Guess it's that and an JB or 59.
      Guitars:
      2019 PRS CE24, 2002 Carvin, 2010 Epiphone 335 dot, custom tele, 5 Peavey V Type's (DMZ SD/paf pro, JB/59, JB8/Jazz, EMG 57/66, and Full shred) Esp/Ltd (Invader set), Jackson DKMGT (EMG 81/85)

Comment

The JB and 59 set is probably well in my opinion anyway one of the most versitle sets ever put together. I think thats why you see so many use that set including myself.
        I'm willing to bet you would be extremely happy with that set. BUT
        I'm also thinking about your style and your amps. I'm thinking you may like even more a Distortion set from Semour Duncan. It's basically a hot rodded version of the JB and 59 combo.
        I know this first hand as I also own a guitar with that set on it. The Distortion neck is very clean and punchy. It seems to have more sheer output then the 59 , not as warm but more mid range sounding even though I think the spec's might suggest a scoop. It's not how it sounds when you play it. It has a remarkable clarity and beautiful tone for basically everything the 59 is good at. I don't think it's a better pickup for clean stuff but different. The 59 is fatter and I fall in love with it every time I use it. I even have a Lil59 in another guitar and that pickup is simply remarkable.
        The Distortion in the bridge is a tight edgy growl. Slighty different then the JB but has some of the same qualities, again sounds like they took a JB and modified it for more 80's metal stuff.
        For me the JB and 59 can not be beat. I can play anything I want with that set it really doesn't matter. Death metal to the softest Rock it does it with grace.
        Some hate on the set for reasons I can't even imagine. But I'm here to tell you it's probably the exact set for you.

Comment

OP, I play similar styles as you and would recommend the Pearly Gates set as well. In fact, currently I have an LP/SG-style guitar (Dean Deceiver) set up in Drop C with Pearly Gates neck and bridge expressly so I can cop COC riffs. It works great.

The Pearly Gates set isn't "designed" for high gain and metal, but the way the low end "falls apart" (doesn't remain tight) under high gain downtuned conditions sounds great to my ears. It's an open and organic sound that's a lot more inviting to me than the usual high output pickup that remains tight under high gain.

Woody from COC has been known to run an Invader in the bridge and Pearly Gates in the neck with an SG-type guitar. The choice of Invader over Pearly Gates in bridge makes sense if one wants more midrange beef, higher output, and less cut.

The Duncan 59 set might also be up your alley (maybe get it with covers to round off the top end a little). Mark Morton from Lamb of God used to use 59s, and LOG isn't too far off from the styles you listed. Josh Homme also used 59s in Kyuss.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
            The JB and 59 set is probably well in my opinion anyway one of the most versitle sets ever put together. I think thats why you see so many use that set including myself.
            I'm willing to bet you would be extremely happy with that set. BUT
            I'm also thinking about your style and your amps. I'm thinking you may like even more a Distortion set from Semour Duncan. It's basically a hot rodded version of the JB and 59 combo.
            I know this first hand as I also own a guitar with that set on it. The Distortion neck is very clean and punchy. It seems to have more sheer output then the 59 , not as warm but more mid range sounding even though I think the spec's might suggest a scoop. It's not how it sounds when you play it. It has a remarkable clarity and beautiful tone for basically everything the 59 is good at. I don't think it's a better pickup for clean stuff but different. The 59 is fatter and I fall in love with it every time I use it. I even have a Lil59 in another guitar and that pickup is simply remarkable.
            The Distortion in the bridge is a tight edgy growl. Slighty different then the JB but has some of the same qualities, again sounds like they took a JB and modified it for more 80's metal stuff.
            For me the JB and 59 can not be beat. I can play anything I want with that set it really doesn't matter. Death metal to the softest Rock it does it with grace.
            Some hate on the set for reasons I can't even imagine. But I'm here to tell you it's probably the exact set for you.
            The JB/'59 combo is worthy enough to be included in most San Dimas Charvels and Jackson Soloist USAs, so it can't be too bad. However, I like the Distortion/'59 even better. Does well with coil tapping also.
            Mesa/Boogie MkIII+ & MkIVb + Mark Series Stack
            Marshall JVM410H
            Charvel 650 Custom-EMG 85/SLV/SLV+SPC
            Charvel San Dimas I Koa USA BKP + Style 1 2H - JB/'59, Jackson Soloist Pro MIJ
            ESP Eclipse II EMG 81/60 + Viper Urban Camo + JH-600 SPC (2)
            Carvin DC400CA + DC127T Koa - DD/'59
            Fender Custom Yngwie Strat - Seafoam Green w/rosewood, Fender Yngwie Strat - Sonic Blue w/maple, Fender Telecaster
            Charvel 475 Deluxe + 475 Exotic PATB set
            Ibanez UV7BK, B.C. Rich Eagle - Evo2/Air Norton

Comment

...was leaning to a basic setup of JB/jazz but have been told it wouldn't sound much different from the 498 set.
              Cannot see that at all; the 490r to my recollection is a warmer (actually "jazzier") sound vs. the pretty bright/more modern Jazz, and the JB just doesn't sound like anything else. I like the Jazz and JB, but somehow not on the same guitar. It sounds like the Distortion might be a better fit for you though.
              Originally posted by King Buzzo
              I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I wouldn't chose a PGb for metal, not bad but it's not aggressive enough to my ear. The neck PG is gtg though. I'm replacing my PGb with a BK Juggernaut in my LP with a SH-5b and a '59n going into a FV.

Comment

OK, first let me give a HUGE thank you to all who have read/replied to my question!!!! I usually don't get this much help.

I get what everyone is saying with all the different combos...But last night I played a cheap guitar I had modified some time ago, to my liking, which I installed an invader set. Great, outstanding little guitar but never played. I built it, hung it on the wall and it stayed there till I gave it to my best friend...Who btw loves it so much there's no $$$ amount he could place on it.
                  Anyways, for the sake of trying something different, we switched guitars last nite and I was floored by the way it sounded!!! Everything I played was exactly the way I wanted it to sound all these years!!! There were times where the invader did have a little too much but it was immediately remedied with the volume knob.

SO...My next question lies in this: will this set sound the same in another guitar or will I have to modify another guitar of that same model to get "the sound"? I play the Peavey V type (vandenberg clone) because it's "me". I enjoy the lightness, contours, the neck profile, looks, and overall "feel" is just me. I know it's not accepted as a (insert year here) classic Gibson Les Paul but to me the v type is just that...To me!

The little modified guitar is a used LTD h-51, that I removed all paint, burnt the body with a heat gun, stained it brown, installed the invaders and good switch/pots/jack in. Had it professionally set up, and never realized it's potential till now! I know it's not the same body wood as the Peavey...LTD is a basswood and the Peavey is alder. LTD is heavier and the Peavey is light. Necks are somewhat same...Maple with rosewood. Both are string thru body.

In knowing this...With your expertise/knowledge, what do I do? Do I try the invader bridge with a jazz/59 in the neck or do I order a hotrod set? For this guitar (the Peavey)...Descisions, descisions!!

Again, thanks for the help!!
                  Last edited by Jigsisme; 01-27-2017, 10:11 AM.
                  Guitars:

Comment

Take a look into the DiMarzio Super 3/PAF Pro combo, it is pretty stellar! Have a set loaded in my Jackson Stars Soloist that sound awesome. They replaced a Seymour Duncan Custom and JB set. The JB was in the neck, which seemed weird to me, but it surprisingly sounded great there. Anyway, the DiMarzio set really suits the guitar.

Cole
                    Budda Superdrive II 30, 45, V40, Baby Budda| H&K Duotone | Laney GH100L | Peters Halo/Hydra | Rivera M100 | |Rocktron Vendetta 100 | VHT Pittbull 100/CL]

Comment

It'll sound close but not the same, guitars can be pretty finicky to your ear for the right tone and even individual pups of the same model can sound better than others in the same axe.

I'd try to get the guitar back if you REALLY think it's the holy grail for your ears' tone. It's a LTD and your buddy is a guitar player too. So more than likely there's something out there he's really jonesing for; a new amp, pedals, something. Pony up and buy it back.

If it isn't going to happen you need to try to get a duplicate of that model of guitar second hand and go from there.

Comment

Frankie/Jazz

Do not be wise in words - be wise in deeds.

Comment

Working...
                        X