Rewinding a Phat Cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewinding a Phat Cat

I recently got a Phat Cat but even though it is a neck model, it is, as the name suggests, a little "phat" for my tastes (8.06k by my multi-meter). I knew in advance it probably would be so this is no complaint about Seymour.

Anyway, I opened up to remove about 500 winds or so but in my ham-handed way I killed the coil. I'd like to send it back to Duncan and have them rewind it to 7.5k with a tap at 7.0k. Does anyone know how to go about this (hard to get through on the phone) and what it would cost?
    Generic signature line.

Re: Rewinding a Phat Cat

Calling is the only way to find out for sure, and you need to call to get a return authorization (RA) number.

I'm probably mistaken but I think a rewind is $75. I'm not sure if the additional tap costs extra but that may cause you to wander into Custom Shop prices.

You really need to call ahead on this one, unless Scott M. or Evan picks up on this post.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

805-964-9610 ext.1009 and talk to Custom Shop manager Maricela Juarez (“MJ”).

Comment

Update very late in coming:

I had MJ do the custom rewind. They were going to charge me $70 for it but they ended up losing it for about 6 weeks and to make up for it, they didn't charge me -- pretty cool and much appreciated. Anyway the results:

7.5k was still too hot and a touch "muddy" for my tastes, which is why I wanted the 7.0k tap, just in case that happened.

At 7.0k, the Phat Cat is neck pickup NIRVANA. It sounds like the purest water in the world babbling down a mountain stream. Great in my 355, even better in my LP Std. Would be just killer in any archtop. Good enough that they really should make another Phat Cat at 7.0k and call it the Jazz Cat.
        Generic signature line.

Comment

Working...
        X