X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mincer
    replied
    Re: Urgent: Help us cancel the double cream trademark held by DiMarzio

I am not ok with posting this kind of stuff here. Especially about a competitor's product. It is one thing if you are discussing this, but registering here just to post a link to your survey? Sorry. It is locked for now.
    And IWantDoubleCream, if you bring up this survey in any other thread, you are banned. There are lots of other things to discuss other than this.

Leave a comment:

• LLL
    replied

I'm in. Although I don't have a pressing need (currently) for double creams, I find it g-damned ridiculous that anyone can patent a solid color.

Undoubtedly this was passed way back when due to the ignoramuses at USPTO not knowing jack about guitar gear.

Trademarking a solid color is like trademarking tree bark texture... (GTF outta here).

I'll post this notification on my forum (and others) as well.
    Last edited by LLL; 03-07-2017, 08:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JeffB
    replied

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
    This again? Pfft... Why not set up another company based in overseas that makes double-cream pickups and exports them to the US?
    Doesn't work that way. Not allowed to be sold in the USA.

That is why you don't see Gibson headstock MIJ clones for sale here.

Leave a comment:

• Obsessive Compulsive
    replied

This again? Pfft... Why not set up another company based in overseas that makes double-cream pickups and exports them to the US?

Leave a comment:

• JeffB
    replied

All the complainers- quit your *****ing and step up to the plate!

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied

Seths and Ants are double cream. I'm happy with my Seth/Ant hybrid. It's enough double cream for me. Or you could get a zebra and reverse zebra then swap coils. Easy peasy.

Leave a comment:

• IWantDoubleCream
    replied

In fact DiMarzio sued a pickup maker called Sheptone last year. I assume Sheptone had to settle, because I never heard about any sort of final judgement. If you look at Sheptone's site, the double cream option is gone, so I assume they got the short end of the stick.

Leave a comment:

• Masta' C
    replied

Originally posted by IWantDoubleCream View Post
    That's a misconception. DiMarzio has thoroughly enforced their trademark, even against small pickup makers. If they do not, their trademark would become generic, and therefore invalid. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_trademark
    I've owned enough double creams from smaller makers to form my own view on that, but good luck either way. Like I said...in the end, it really doesn't make an ounce of difference to me

Leave a comment:

• IWantDoubleCream
    replied

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
    I won't be helping because I don't really care about double cream pickups and to state otherwise would be illegal, but I DO wish you luck! Genuinely...the patent is plenty outdated at this point and poorly enforced outside of the top few makers.
    That's a misconception. DiMarzio has thoroughly enforced their trademark, even against small pickup makers. If they do not, their trademark would become generic, and therefore invalid. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_trademark

Leave a comment:

• IWantDoubleCream
    replied

When the USPTO made their judgement, there was fifteen days. Time was needed to draft the form, and then some time must be afforded to prepare the declarations for submission to the USPTO.

There is now case law that did not exist in the late 70's and early 80's regarding the use of color in trademarks that serves to refute this trademark. That is part of the reason a challenge has been late in coming.

Leave a comment:

• Masta' C
    replied

I won't be helping because I don't really care about double cream pickups and to state otherwise would be illegal, but I DO wish you luck! Genuinely...the patent is plenty outdated at this point and poorly enforced outside of the top few makers.

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied

This happened in 1981, but now we have a 6-day deadline to deal with it, or it's forever? Fugget about it.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

Less than 1 week?

Is this distributed in the various Facebook groups as well?

Leave a comment:

• Laughing Kookaburra
    replied

^^^ My Strat would be horrid without the pickguard, pickups just laying about all willy nilly...

Leave a comment:

• WolfeMacleod
    replied

Originally posted by Laughing Kookaburra View Post
    I do believe that there are more pressing issues.
    Sure. Like.. is my sound better with the pickguard on or off?
    Do trussrod condoms matter?
    Which knobs should I use?
    Are my M69 rings a perfect replica?
    The corners of these covers are too rounded!
    Is this replica PAF decal accurate?
    How do I get Slahtonez?
    With or without binding nibs?

More pressing issues, indeed...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X