Need an alternative Tele neck PUP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an alternative Tele neck PUP

I have tried both a Seymour Duncan vintage stack in my Tele and a Dimarzio Twang King. I prefered the Duncan because it was hum-cancelling, but neither of them did it for me.

Ultimately I'm after a standard sized tele neck pup (with cover) which is hum-cancelling, has a bit more grunt and has a bit more top-end bite. I understand that the size of the pickup makes it difficult for these options to be added, but does anyone make a pup as descriped?

Thanks

Moog

Re: Need an alternative Tele neck PUP

Well, while the Vintage Stack neck pickup is great (it's what I use), I think you're after something kwith a little hair on it. I would either look and a cool Strat pickup for the neck position or a mini-humbucker. Some of Duncan's mini's really scream...
    -Butch

Comment

Thanks Butch, an unashamed bump!

Comment

Butch is right. Take a look at the SM-1 mini. It's what I use, paired with a JD in the bridge.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

The SM-1 and SM-3 are great choices. If you really want a stock look, then try a Fender Vintage noiseless neck pickup. I didn't care for the bridge pickup, but I thought the neck pickup was quite nice. I think most of the current Fender Tele neck pickups generally sound brighter and have more bite than most of the SD neck pickups, so it might work for you. The price is right at least.

Comment

Originally posted by moog1000
            I have tried both a Seymour Duncan vintage stack in my Tele and a Dimarzio Twang King. I prefered the Duncan because it was hum-cancelling, but neither of them did it for me.

Ultimately I'm after a standard sized tele neck pup (with cover) which is hum-cancelling, has a bit more grunt and has a bit more top-end bite. I understand that the size of the pickup makes it difficult for these options to be added, but does anyone make a pup as descriped?

Thanks

Moog
            By any chance did you try the Power Boost mode for your vintage stack? You lose the humcancelling but the output is a lot stronger. I had vintage stacks in one of my teles for many years, using two switches to go between humcancelling and power boost modes as explained in the blue sheet that came with the pickup. You can skip the switch for a temporary test to see how works for you. (The lower output of the stack when noise is an issue; the fuller sound of the power boost when it isn't.)
            Steve Ahola

The Blue Guitar:
            http://www.blueguitar.org/

SoundClick Page:
            http://www.soundclick.com/steveahola

Comment

Working...
            X