Pickups for a 57 Re-Issue Gold Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for a 57 Re-Issue Gold Top

I am looking to replace the BB's in my 57 Re-Issue but I am a little worried about making a bad decision. I originally wanted a great 70'searly 80's sound with some bite (think High & Dry era Def Leppard) and I was going to get a pair of Dimarzio SD's but I am wondering if the Custom might fit the bill as well. I am looking for a slight bump in output but nothing crazy, something around 10k-12K resistance would be ideal. I will add that this is a dark sounding Les Paul with the original BB pickups so I am concerned with not making it any darker. Does/has anyone here use a Dimarzio SD in a Les Paul? If so is it dark or bright sounding? I had one in a Gibson V that was bright but I have also played Explorers with one in them and they were dark. Would the Custom give a classic 70's sound without getting to dark or should I be looking at a different Duncan for the sound I am looking for? Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Pickups for a 57 Re-Issue Gold Top

I'm having the same problem with my 03 Standard. I don't like the BBs either. I was thinking Duncan 59s, Fralins, or Seth Lovers. I also have the same problem with my Gibson V.

-Mark
    "Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it." John Adams

Comment

Welcome to the Forum Guys!

Join the throngs who believe Burstbucker "just aren't quite it".

In a dark sounding LP you have quite a few options. The Jazz and 59 are both excellent choices for the neck pup. The Bridge Custom, Custom 5, or JB

The 59---The 59 is the quintessential Alnico 5 (A5) PAF style pup. It has lots of high end and a deep thudding bass. The mids are scooped as well. In VERY dark guitars it can sound a little muddy on the low end

Jazz---The jazz is an articulate pup that sounds good tuned to standard or detuned. The pup sounds good clean and dirty and has a chimey but not overbearing top end. It has more mids and highs than the 59 and less bass. This is the pup I have in the neck of my Heritage 150 (LP build and woods) It sounds fantastic

For the bridge positin SD only has one 10K bridge pup and that is the Screaming Demon, however it does not generally sound very good in a LP. You could have the Custom Shop wind you said pup.

If you want to keep a vintage type bridge pup you could go with a matching Jazz or 59 bridge pup, or PG,

Pearly Gates---The Pearly Gates is the hottest of the PAF style pups. The high end sizzle is the spike in the frequencies that the cut/presence knob controls. It has unbalanced coils which makes for a slightly different tone, maybe the source of the rudeness you'll hear people talk about.

The following three pups are all choices to brighten a guitar and are High output pups

Custom---A high output pup with lots of grind and punch, but it still gives a nod to its vintage roots.

Custom 5---A high output pup with the same EQ as the 59. Gearjoneser is the biggest proponent of this pup and has it in a few different LPs.

JB---The quintessential high output pup. Heard on numerous 80's albums as well as Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow album. It has a very large upper mids spike that cuts through the mix like no other. Can be shrill in some guitars. I had this in my Heritage and just didn't like the tone. (that's when I switched to the A2P)

Shoot me any other questions you guys might have, I'll be more than glad to help. And again WELCOME!

Luke
      “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

What you're describing is also what I prefer. Nickel covered Custom 5/59N or Jazz N
        If you primarily use your neck pickup for soloing or highgain, go with the 59 neck
        If you do a lot of clean/midgain rhythm playing on the neck, go with the Jazz neck.
        The C-5 is one of the best Les Paul bridge pickups for players that go between clean, midgain, and highgain. If you play with highgain almost all the time, a Custom bridge might suit you even better.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke
          Welcome to the Forum Guys!

Join the throngs who believe Burstbucker "just aren't quite it".

In a dark sounding LP you have quite a few options. The Jazz and 59 are both excellent choices for the neck pup. The Bridge Custom, Custom 5, or JB

The 59---The 59 is the quintessential Alnico 5 (A5) PAF style pup. It has lots of high end and a deep thudding bass. The mids are scooped as well. In VERY dark guitars it can sound a little muddy on the low end

Jazz---The jazz is an articulate pup that sounds good tuned to standard or detuned. The pup sounds good clean and dirty and has a chimey but not overbearing top end. It has more mids and highs than the 59 and less bass. This is the pup I have in the neck of my Heritage 150 (LP build and woods) It sounds fantastic

For the bridge positin SD only has one 10K bridge pup and that is the Screaming Demon, however it does not generally sound very good in a LP. You could have the Custom Shop wind you said pup.

If you want to keep a vintage type bridge pup you could go with a matching Jazz or 59 bridge pup, or PG,

Pearly Gates---The Pearly Gates is the hottest of the PAF style pups. The high end sizzle is the spike in the frequencies that the cut/presence knob controls. It has unbalanced coils which makes for a slightly different tone, maybe the source of the rudeness you'll hear people talk about.

The following three pups are all choices to brighten a guitar and are High output pups

Custom---A high output pup with lots of grind and punch, but it still gives a nod to its vintage roots.

Custom 5---A high output pup with the same EQ as the 59. Gearjoneser is the biggest proponent of this pup and has it in a few different LPs.

JB---The quintessential high output pup. Heard on numerous 80's albums as well as Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow album. It has a very large upper mids spike that cuts through the mix like no other. Can be shrill in some guitars. I had this in my Heritage and just didn't like the tone. (that's when I switched to the A2P)

Shoot me any other questions you guys might have, I'll be more than glad to help. And again WELCOME!

Luke
          Hey Luke. After playing the guitar when I got home tonight it seems like it is not really all that dark but muffled sounding, it seems to have piercing highs with a muffled boomy low end. I will say that I have only been a fan of A2 pickups in ash or alder bodied guitars with tremolos to add warmth, maybe this Les Paul has enough warmth and needs some sizzle that the BB's are not providing. I had a C-5 in a GMP Roxie Deluxe that sounded pretty good but I also had a Custom in a Dean Caddy that sounded great, although it never really got vintage sounding no matter how much you turned down the gain. I was thinking more of a vintage sounding pickup to try and keep with the whole feeling of the guitar but maybe I should just look at other things as well. I thought of the Dimarzio's because I know they have that raunchy 70's sound, plus open coil double creme's will look killer on my Goldtop but sound should come first!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
            What you're describing is also what I prefer. Nickel covered Custom 5/59N or Jazz N
            If you primarily use your neck pickup for soloing or highgain, go with the 59 neck
            If you do a lot of clean/midgain rhythm playing on the neck, go with the Jazz neck.
            The C-5 is one of the best Les Paul bridge pickups for players that go between clean, midgain, and highgain. If you play with highgain almost all the time, a Custom bridge might suit you even better.
            Hi Gearjoneser. How does a C-5 sound in a Les Paul? In my Roxie it sounded good but that was a heavy guitar (almost 10 pounds), I am sure the weight plus the ebony board would make a difference. I did like the fact that it would calm down if you tuned the gain down and it would get vintage sounding, although it was kind of a modern vintage sound(if that makes sense). By that I mean it will never sound like an Antiquity no matter what you do.

Comment

Jimlp, I haven't had the C5 in a 57 reissue just a custom and I wasn't too crazy about it. That said if you'd like to open up the can a bit try the C5. You might also want to look into the antiquities for more of the vintage vibe. Scott F had a R8 and chased vintage tones forever with boutique pups and lots of PAF clones, after lots of chasing he ended up with a high output bride pup! Crazy world huh?

As far as dbl creme coils go...YOU CAN order Duncans with them. It is called a floor shop custom. They will come with covers over the bobbins and you just slide them off. I got my Jazz, JB, and A2P that way. Any knowledgeable dealer can order them like that for you. The price is about 15 dollars higher b/c of the cover and it takes about a month to get them.

Luke
              “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

When was your R7 produced? If it is before 2003 I'd start by changing the 300K pots to CTS500K's.

B
                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo
                  When was your R7 produced? If it is before 2003 I'd start by changing the 300K pots to CTS500K's.

B
                  I am safe there, my 57 is a 2004 model. LukeDuke I am leaning towards chrome covers, double creme would look cool but who wants to look like Tom Sholtz. I am leaning towards a Custom with a cover, have you played one of these in a Les Paul?

Comment

The Custom is good for straight up heavy players, but it sounds a bit closer to the pickups you're getting away from. The C-5 is as tight as a Custom, but has a bouncier feel under your fingers, and the cleans are more sweet. It has great growl under gain, too. The CC is good if you prefer a rounder sound, with a creamier top end.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by jimlp
                      I am safe there, my 57 is a 2004 model. LukeDuke I am leaning towards chrome covers, double creme would look cool but who wants to look like Tom Sholtz. I am leaning towards a Custom with a cover, have you played one of these in a Les Paul?

ME MAN!!! I want to looks like Sholtz! Boston ROCKS!!!

Really though if you got the covers over the dbl. crem you can change your mind at any time, same price. I haven't played a Custom in an LP but Gearjoneser might be right that might be more grind and snarly than you thought, it's all up to you man. I think the Custom would be GREAT if you are wanting to emulate the late 70's early 80's tones it's not a dimarzion super distortion but it's not a PAF.

Luke

Comment

Originally posted by jimlp
                        I thought Historics always had 500k volumes? I think my 2003 Standard came with 300k volumes . Do you know when they switched in the Standards?

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
                          I thought Historics always had 500k volumes? I think my 2003 Standard came with 300k volumes . Do you know when they switched in the Standards?
                          I don't think they switched the Standards, I had always heard that Standards and Classics came with 300k pots but I never checked. I was going to get a Standard and came across my Gold Top by accident, it sounded better than the Standards to me and for the same price I couldn't pass it up. All that said I had no idea what I was buying, I didn't know the whole Custom Shop historically accurate stuff until I got it home and researched it. I lucked out, but the nut still isn't cut right!

Comment

Working...
                          X