Why do Fenders have 2 ground points?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do Fenders have 2 ground points?

Hi all, sort of a follow up to a recent post...

I succesfully modded a Jazzmaster (with the help of several forum members) and I noticed something I've noticed on pretty much all the Fenders I've taken apart. There's a ground wire from the bridge (normal), but then there's usually another wired screwed to the bottom of the pickup cavity... Anyone know what that one is for?

Re: Why do Fenders have 2 ground points?

Originally posted by roadsleeper
    Hi all, sort of a follow up to a recent post...

I succesfully modded a Jazzmaster (with the help of several forum members) and I noticed something I've noticed on pretty much all the Fenders I've taken apart. There's a ground wire from the bridge (normal), but then there's usually another wired screwed to the bottom of the pickup cavity... Anyone know what that one is for?
    The cavity is sheilded.
    Satanists In Love-
    Dance With The Kings
    of Dance Kings.

Headlopper-
    Everyone Must Give Head.

Drunk Boy Records-
    Fingers on the Pulse of America,
    and Applying as Much Pressure as We Can.
    http://www.DrunkBoy.cjb.net

Comment

Oh ok, but where should the wire be soldered to? The back of one of the pots, or the jack?

Comment

paint the whole cavity with shielding paint, get a small brass screw and screw it lightly into the wood, individually solder each earth wire to the brass screw and then a wire from the screw to the bridge. ive not done this myself but i hear a lot of people do it to help eliminate noise.
        Cornford Hellcat
        Peavey 5150 - Marshall 1960A cab

Ibanez 1994 Jem7VWH - Stock
        Fender Strat - Fullshred/Duckbucker/lil59
        Fender Strat - Jb Jr bridge + 2x Fender Single coils
        Fender 1976 Precision Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueLightRideTV

Comment

i swear you can get rolls of copper tape that do the same thing, paint seems quite a messy way around..

tom

Comment

Originally posted by Imp
            i swear you can get rolls of copper tape that do the same thing, paint seems quite a messy way around..

tom
            I agree, having tried both methods on a Strat, I much prefer the copper tape to the paint. When applied properly, both are equally effective at reducing the noise, but the paint is so much messier, and it's not easily reversible. Paint works best on rear-routed guitars, when you want to shield one or two wiring cavities. I really don't recommend it for top-routed Strats.

Ryan
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
              I agree, having tried both methods on a Strat, I much prefer the copper tape to the paint. When applied properly, both are equally effective at reducing the noise, but the paint is so much messier, and it's not easily reversible. Paint works best on rear-routed guitars, when you want to shield one or two wiring cavities. I really don't recommend it for top-routed Strats.

Ryan

I shielded 3 strats with conductive paint (~$25/pint @ StewMac) and found it fairly easy to do. You just have to apply multiple coats and check the result with a multimeter.
              Wouldn't mind using it on a top-routed guitar, either. Much easier and faster that cutting tape, IMHO.

For shielding ideas, check this website

I followed the instructions as described in "quieting the beast" and ended up with the quietest strat I ever had.

Comment

It's easy and fast, but it's messy. Even when it's dry, the paint gets all over everything. Put your hand on a dry patch of shielding paint, your hand will be totally black. Copper tape takes longer, but I like it much better for Strats.

Ryan
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Using single coils at high gain, how much audible noise shielding will i enjoy if i foil my cavities?
                  '96 MIM Fender Strat: nck-APS1 + mid-APS1 Alnc II Pro Stg RwRp + brdg-Lil '59
                  Korea Squire '97 Strat: The MIM's stock pups
                  Epiphone '96 Sheraton: Stock 'buckers
                  Samick Tele: Tele HotRails in bridge + stock neck

Comment

Originally posted by roadsleeper
                    Oh ok, but where should the wire be soldered to? The back of one of the pots, or the jack?
                    The ground it's conected to every metal point that doesn't carry a signal. This means that everything it is conected to the ground tip of the output jack. If you check the all the grounds you will find out that the bridge, the back of your pots and the output jack ground are conected alltogether. So, to answer your question, sold it where you think it's less complicated.

Hope this helps...

Comment

Originally posted by mongrollo
                      The ground it's conected to every metal point that doesn't carry a signal. This means that everything it is conected to the ground tip of the output jack. If you check the all the grounds you will find out that the bridge, the back of your pots and the output jack ground are conected alltogether. So, to answer your question, sold it where you think it's less complicated.

Hope this helps...
                      Most certainly helps, thanks for your input!

Comment

Working...
                      X