HSS Match for Custom Shop `78 in Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSS Match for Custom Shop `78 in Bridge

I'm building a Superstrat with an HSS configuration and a Custom Shop `78 in the bridge. I'm undecided on what to do about the middle and neck pickups. I'm familiar with the tone of the SSL1, SSL4, the Antiquity II Surfer, and could probably go with any of them, at least as far as tone goes. What would be most matched in output to the CS 78? The lit says that it's a low output, underwound pickup, but I don't know if 'low output' means overall, or just compared to other humbuckers.

Also, has anyone tried the Little 59 or 78, or JB Jr in the neck or middle position? I don't really want a humbucker sound in those positions, but I suppose it could work out if the output was balanced with the CS78.

Re: HSS Match for Custom Shop `78 in Bridge

Lower output humbuckers are balance well with any higher output single coils. Quarter Pound, or Hot Stack would be good

Comment

For this 78 model pickup, is it supposed to have a single 300k Gibson control for Volume? Otherwise what controls will the guitar use?

Comment

First, decide if hum cancelling on the neck & middle is important to you. And the 78 is low output for a humbucker, but still more than a traditional single coil. There are a bunch of Stacks here, so pick your EQ and go with it.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
          For this 78 model pickup, is it supposed to have a single 300k Gibson control for Volume? Otherwise what controls will the guitar use?
          I've always used 500K, but I don't like humbuckers with 250/300K.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

i would probably go with the ssl6 if you are using 500k pots and want a true single coil. if you want humcancelling and have 500k id think about cool rails or stacks

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              i would probably go with the ssl6 if you are using 500k pots and want a true single coil. if you want humcancelling and have 500k id think about cool rails or stacks
              I've never tried the SSL6 with 500K, but I can confirm that both the stacks and Cool Rails work great with them.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I like the SSL6 with 500k better. It is slightly clearer.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Use Texas Specials and a 250k volume pot. Texas
                  Specials have a focused midrange gring that will mesh nicely with the 78
                  “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

I would go with a couple of SSL-6, that would be a seriously awesome Strat.
                    Originally posted by jcthejester13
                    Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Is it even possible to match Surfers in neck and middle with a humbucker in bridge? That's what I'm interested in doing and was advised against it by the SD support team. kafka ? Did you do this and like it? Thanks!
                      Last edited by cptl975; 12-02-2020, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X