PRS CU24 and Duncan Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS CU24 and Duncan Pickups

I understand that if I want to use a Duncan bridge pickup in a PRS CU24 with the 5 way blade switch, I have to flip the magnets but what if I replace both pickups with Duncan's? I don't need to flip them then do I? And if I use both Duncan's do I wire them like regular Duncan's (Black Hot etc) or use the PRS Color Scheme. Lastly for the pull tone pots do you wire the Red and White together to the same 5 way switch lug as the PRS Pickup's single RED Wire? I believe Duncan White+Red =PRS Single Red (I think)

Thank you in advance...

SBS

Re: PRS CU24 and Duncan Pickups

Originally posted by simonbarsinister View Post
    I understand that if I want to use a Duncan bridge pickup in a PRS CU24 with the 5 way blade switch, I have to flip the magnets but what if I replace both pickups with Duncan's? I don't need to flip them then do I? And if I use both Duncan's do I wire them like regular Duncan's (Black Hot etc) or use the PRS Color Scheme. Lastly for the pull tone pots do you wire the Red and White together to the same 5 way switch lug as the PRS Pickup's single RED Wire? I believe Duncan White+Red =PRS Single Red (I think)

Thank you in advance...

SBS
    Anyone? Thanks

Comment

I don't know about the "new" 5 way blade switch.

But if it works similarly to the original PRS 5 position rotary switch, the bridge pickup needs it's magnet reversed relative to the neck pickup in order for the coil split combinations to work properly and be hum free.

So if you put two Duncans in a CU24 with the original rotary switch you do have to flip the magnet in one pickup. Usually the bridge.

Maybe ask this question on the PRS forum.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
        I don't know about the "new" 5 way blade switch.

But if it works similarly to the original PRS 5 position rotary switch, the bridge pickup needs it's magnet reversed relative to the neck pickup in order for the coil split combinations to work properly and be hum free.

So if you put two Duncans in a CU24 with the original rotary switch you do have to flip the magnet in one pickup. Usually the bridge.

Maybe ask this question on the PRS forum.
        Thanks Lew I really appreciate it. I guess the piece I am having a hard time getting my head around is why would you need to flip the magnet if you were using 2 Duncan's? Is it the way the switch is wired that creates that requirement? Honestly, I am almost leaning towards ripping everything out and rewiring it the normal way ....

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by simonbarsinister View Post
          Thanks Lew I really appreciate it. I guess the piece I am having a hard time getting my head around is why would you need to flip the magnet if you were using 2 Duncan's? Is it the way the switch is wired that creates that requirement? Honestly, I am almost leaning towards ripping everything out and rewiring it the normal way ....

Thanks again
          You're welcome. It's hard to explain though. The guys on the PRS forum would know better than I because I'm only familiar with the old rotary switch. With that, there's no single coil by itself, which would be noisy. Instead, the single coil sounds come from combining a coil from each humbucker. And to be hum free, that requires that one coil be reverse wound and reverse magnetic polarity compared to the other coil. That's why the magnet gets flipped on one humbucker. The rotary switch Itself is designed to put both humbuckers in phase when both humbuckers are combined so they don't sound thin and out of phase.

But I don't know how your switch works. The guys on the PRS forum will tho.
          Last edited by Lewguitar; 06-05-2017, 07:42 AM.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Lew's right. The PRS 5-way combines outside coils or inside coils- screw/screw or slug/slug. For hum bucking in those positions you need the coils to have opposite polarity.
            So when using Duncans (or any other normal pickups) with this arrangement, you flip one magnet.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Thank you both for taking the time to reply... I will check over there to see if it is the same with the 5 position blade switch they use now. I suspect it is... Thanks again...

Comment

I did post on the PRS Forum but not much info... I have the 2 Duncans. I flipped the magnet in the neck pickup.

Now I know that PRS White Wires are hot and Black is ground. So now do I just follow the schematic below substituting Duncan Black Wires for PRS White Wires and Duncan WHITE+RED for PRS RED wires and Duncan Green and Bare wires for PRS Black?

Maryland-based Manufacturer of Electric Guitars, Acoustic Guitars, Basses and Accessories.

Thanks

Comment

Wiring 2 Duncan Humbuckers in a 2017 PRS CU24 with the 5-way blade switch

I wanted to come back and update this post in case anyone else has this question and wants to know how to do it.

After spending some time experimenting with every combination I could think of, I have the answer on how to do it.

First off as stated in many posts…

You need to select one of the DUNCAN pickups and reverse the magnet.

NOTE: IT CAN BE EITHER PICKUP IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THE BRIDGE PICKUP.

I flipped the magnet in the Neck Pickup.

This is the PRS Diagram for the 2017 CU24:

Maryland-based Manufacturer of Electric Guitars, Acoustic Guitars, Basses and Accessories.

PRS>DUNCAN wire color conversions

White > Black
                  Red > RED and White Soldered together
                  Black > Green
                  Bare > Bare

***Both bare wires go to the Tone Pot Just as they were with the original PRS Pickups. I put some heat shrink around them so they don’t hit up anything else.

So basically, the PRS schematic tells you:

A - Bridge White B - Bridge Red C - Bridge Black D - Neck Red E - Neck Black F - Neck White.

Just in theory here are the wiring schematic conversions (DON’T WIRE YET):

A: The PRS bridge white wire to the Duncan bridge black wire.
                  B: The PRS bridge red wire to the Duncan bridge red and white wires.
                  C: The PRS bridge black wire to the Duncan bridge green wire.
                  D: The PRS neck red wire to the Duncan neck red and white wires.
                  E: The PRS neck black wire to the Duncan green neck wire.
                  F: The PRS neck white wire to the Duncan neck black wire.

NOW HERE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING….

For whichever pickup you chose to flip the magnet in you will switch the hot wire and the ground wire in the configuration.

In my case I flipped the magnet in the neck pickup so the conversions are:

A: The PRS bridge white wire to the Duncan bridge black wire.
                  C: The PRS bridge black wire to the Duncan bridge green wire.
                  E then becomes: The PRS neck black wire to the Duncan black neck wire.
                  F then becomes: The PRS neck white wire to the Duncan green black wire.

If you were to flip the magnet in the bridge pickup the conversions would be:

A: The PRS bridge white wire to the Duncan bridge green wire.
                  C: The PRS bridge black wire to the Duncan bridge black wire.
                  E: The PRS neck black wire to the Duncan green neck wire.
                  F: The PRS neck white wire to the Duncan neck black wire.

It will work perfectly if you wire like above.
                  Last edited by simonbarsinister; 06-10-2017, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X