Pickup Orientation & wiring? Neck/Bridge-North/South-Slug/Screw-Wire Codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Orientation & wiring? Neck/Bridge-North/South-Slug/Screw-Wire Codes

I have searched through many posts on several forums, and every time this question is asked, the answers get very convoluted... So, I'm going to make this easy.

Which of the following diagrams correctly reflects pickup wiring in respect to it's position (Neck/Bridge), Physical Orientation (Screw/Slug up top), Pole Orientation (North/South on top), and Wiring Color codes?
    - My suspicion is that Option 1 is correct...

REASON for the question:
    - The only diagrams ever shown for pickups ALWAYS show the Bridge Pickup. This matters for alternate wiring because if you want to use single coil wiring on a switch, but you want a specific coil for that option... then it can be confusing since they only ever show the bridge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SDPickups1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	5844621Click image for larger version

Name:	SDPickups2.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	5844622Click image for larger version

Name:	SDPickups3.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	5844623

Re: Pickup Orientation & wiring? Neck/Bridge-North/South-Slug/Screw-Wire Codes

The top one is absolutely the correct wiring/polarity, though I recently took apart a Seymour neck humbucker only to discover that it was wired per option 2. This was presented to the community and no one was willing to say that Duncan wired it wrong. Sigh.

In the link you will see that the coil stamped "Seymour Duncan" is connected to red and green with one pickup and white and black with the other pickup. They are both neck pickups.
    Last edited by gregory; 06-11-2017, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Er, well the same wires always refer to the same coil. And the magnet is always in the same orientation in pickups from the factory.
      So wiring for screw coil split will result in the same colours used regardless of whether the pickup is placed in the bridge, middle or neck position.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
        So wiring for screw coil split will result in the same colours used regardless of whether the pickup is placed in the bridge, middle or neck position.
        ...and unless there are two screw coils, the screw coil's black/start and white/finish wires (internal) receive green and red (external), respectively, and the magnet is oriented so the screw coil's polarity is South.

If there are two screw coils then we are talking about the one that is stamped if it is a bridge pickup. In the case of a neck pickup, it is the one that isn't stamped unless I'm wrong and Full Shred Neck pickups do not comport to this scheme.
        Last edited by gregory; 06-11-2017, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X