Anyone know about the SD Stag-Mag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know about the SD Stag-Mag?

I'm thinking about this pickup for the bridge position of my Godin SD. The Stag-Mag would be two single coils which can be combined to form a humbucker, but how would I do that? Does the SM come with a push-pull pot (the Godin only has two controls: volume and tone)? How do the two modes (SC and HB) of the Stag-Mag sound?

Re: Anyone know about the SD Stag-Mag?

It doesn't COME with a pot, but you could get one to do that. When split, it's one of the best single coil sounds you'll get from a humbucker. As a bucker, it's not as thick in the midrange as a normal one, and it's pretty bright. I have one in the neck of my main guitar and like it there, but I don't think I'd use one at the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Jester700
      It doesn't COME with a pot, but you could get one to do that. When split, it's one of the best single coil sounds you'll get from a humbucker. As a bucker, it's not as thick in the midrange as a normal one, and it's pretty bright. I have one in the neck of my main guitar and like it there, but I don't think I'd use one at the bridge.
      Ah ok. So it would be possible to outfit the Godin with two SSL-3s, a Stag-Mag, one volume and one tone control? And with a push-pull function on the tone knob? Which pots would you recommend for the pickups I just mentioned?

Comment

I've used a couple Stag Mags, and to be honest, if you're going to be using SSL-3's, you've already got the single-coil tone covered. I think of the SM as pup you'ld use in an HH guitar, where you want the occasional single sound. Its not my favorite 'bucker.

Since you have singles covered, I'd go for a more conventional humbucker for the bridge. You can still split it to get a variety of tones, and you'll have a "true" humbucker.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Edit: One last thing . . . if the SSL-3's have a "tapped" option, (and I think they do), adding one more switch gives you a whole bunch more tonal options out of that guitar. Thats more-or-less what I have in my Genny - two tapped singles with a humbucker - and its become my favorite axe. You could use a volume control push/pull to tap the singles, and a tone push/pull to split the bucker. Simple, clean . . . lots of options!
        Last edited by ArtieToo; 03-03-2005, 06:18 PM.

Comment

I'll respectfully "partially disagree" with Artie. Given that I dig the bridge/middle strat sound more than any other single coil derived sound, I wouldn't feel "covered" with the 2 SSL-3s, and a good splittable bucker would still be key to have. Having said that, the SM wouldn't be my choice in the bridge. If you want to stay with Duncan, one of the hotter conventional buckers might be the best compromise (JB would be my pick; my backup guitar has one in the bridge - choose the slug side to cut to, IMO).

But if you want your compromise solution to lean more toward the single coil sound (I do), I'd try something else. My fave is an SK guitars model - basically half a stag mag (but with alnico5 poles) and half a ceramic powered bucker coil. The Rio Grande tallboy and Muy Grande are other popular ones, though I haven't played them.

Another one I like is the old Ibanez F1 with half of the screws replaced by Alnico 5 poles. But that might be pushing it. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jester700
            I'll respectfully "partially disagree" with Artie. Given that I dig the bridge/middle strat sound more than any other single coil derived sound, I wouldn't feel "covered" with the 2 SSL-3s, and a good splittable bucker would still be key to have. Having said that, the SM wouldn't be my choice in the bridge. If you want to stay with Duncan, one of the hotter conventional buckers might be the best compromise (JB would be my pick; my backup guitar has one in the bridge - choose the slug side to cut to, IMO).

But if you want your compromise solution to lean more toward the single coil sound (I do), I'd try something else. My fave is an SK guitars model - basically half a stag mag (but with alnico5 poles) and half a ceramic powered bucker coil. The Rio Grande tallboy and Muy Grande are other popular ones, though I haven't played them.

Another one I like is the old Ibanez F1 with half of the screws replaced by Alnico 5 poles. But that might be pushing it. ;-)
            Well, I would just like to have mostly a single coil sound in the bridge too, but a humbuckerish sound when I want to. I know I can't have my cake and eat it too, but I'm still contemplating which would be best: a Stag-Mag or a split hot humbucker? I'm guessing if I want a split humbucker to sound like a single coil, the humbucker should be as hot as possible? Which one, apart from a JB, would do the trick?

Comment

Even though my Distortion is a neck version, I end up using it split, more than full 'bucker mode. It's basically a JB with a ceramic mag. So, it might be a good choice for this ap.

Currently, I have a C5 mated up with my singles, but I haven't split it yet. I'll be doing that this weekend, so if you aren't in a big hurry, I'll post back as to how it turned out.

Comment

Originally posted by tomswaelen
                Well, I would just like to have mostly a single coil sound in the bridge too, but a humbuckerish sound when I want to. I know I can't have my cake and eat it too, but I'm still contemplating which would be best: a Stag-Mag or a split hot humbucker? I'm guessing if I want a split humbucker to sound like a single coil, the humbucker should be as hot as possible? Which one, apart from a JB, would do the trick?
                Most strong buckers should do well; the distortion would probably be my second choice. Artie, how bright is that neck dist at the bridge? The Distortion is fairly bright IIRC, and I'd bet the neck model is even brighter than the bridge one. No right or wrong, just a taste call.

Comment

I probably should have been more clear, ( a recurring theme with me lately ), I have my neck DD in the neck. Its clear, and bright, but I wouldn't call it too bright. The Custom in the bridge, however, is almost too bright when split. I use it more to augment the DD than by itself, (in split-mode, that is).

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                    I probably should have been more clear, ( a recurring theme with me lately ), I have my neck DD in the neck. Its clear, and bright, but I wouldn't call it too bright. The Custom in the bridge, however, is almost too bright when split. I use it more to augment the DD than by itself, (in split-mode, that is).
                    Well, it doesn't make my choice any easier, but I'm still leaning towards the Stag-Mag...

What kind of pots (ohm) would I need for two SSL-3s and a Stag-Mag?

Comment

Originally posted by tomswaelen
                      Well, it doesn't make my choice any easier, but I'm still leaning towards the Stag-Mag...

What kind of pots (ohm) would I need for two SSL-3s and a Stag-Mag?
                      This is, of course, subjective also, but I think I'd start with 250k's.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                        This is, of course, subjective also, but I think I'd start with 250k's.
                        Why is it subjective? I don't know anything about guitar electronics, actually... What kind of difference do different pots make?

Comment

By "subjective", I mean relative to the person who's doing it. One person might prefer 250's, and another 500's. I find the difference between the two to be subtle. Others find it significant. I like having 250k's on my DD/DC Patriot, but I like 500k's on my twin 59 Predator.

Since you'll have a couple of single-coils, and you want to use the SM split, I'd start with 250k's. But thats just me.

Comment

Working...
                          X