Tone matching - Li'l Demon & Pearly Gates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone matching - Li'l Demon & Pearly Gates

I have two "Strats", one with a Pearly Gates in the bridge, another with a baby Screamin' Demon. Both pickups have similar characteristics and seem to inhabit the same family, as near as I can tell. Both guitars are alder bodied.

Listeners have ranted about the guitar with the PG - but the Demon is in my boutique guitar (the other is a Carvin Bolt). I'd like to come up with a way to sonically match the two, more or less.

I know this is off the wall, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd like to hear them. Or maybe you can suggest a replacement for the Demon. I don't want to go the full-size pickup route in the Melancon. What do you think would be the closest Strat-sized pickup to the PG?

I'm also trying changing some things with my PODxt, but haven't done much with it yet.

One idea I had (and maybe I should stick to playing) is to replace the 250K volume pot with a 500K - or some in-between value maybe, if I can find one. I'm concerned what this would do with my Lawrence L280s (common to both guitars), but I'd take that chance.

Any thoughts you'd care to share?

Re: Tone matching - Li'l Demon & Pearly Gates

Originally posted by gmiller77
    I have two "Strats", one with a Pearly Gates in the bridge, another with a baby Screamin' Demon. Both pickups have similar characteristics and seem to inhabit the same family, as near as I can tell. Both guitars are alder bodied.

Listeners have ranted about the guitar with the PG - but the Demon is in my boutique guitar (the other is a Carvin Bolt). I'd like to come up with a way to sonically match the two, more or less.

I know this is off the wall, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd like to hear them. Or maybe you can suggest a replacement for the Demon. I don't want to go the full-size pickup route in the Melancon. What do you think would be the closest Strat-sized pickup to the PG?

I'm also trying changing some things with my PODxt, but haven't done much with it yet.

One idea I had (and maybe I should stick to playing) is to replace the 250K volume pot with a 500K - or some in-between value maybe, if I can find one. I'm concerned what this would do with my Lawrence L280s (common to both guitars), but I'd take that chance.

Any thoughts you'd care to share?
    The custom shop

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

now offers a lil Pearly Gates. It may be more than you want to spend but it would do the trick.
    Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

Re: Tone matching - Li'l Demon & Pearly Gates

Thanks - I didn't know that. I have an inquiry in as to price, etc. on this item.

Any other thoughts? I have a feeling the baby PG will be pricey. The Demon was expensive enough and required a 4 week wait.

Has anyone played the Strat-sized Pearly Gates? I'd love to hear any comments.

Comment

Working...
      X