banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard is it to change pickups in a LesPaul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How hard is it to change pickups in a LesPaul?

Originally posted by flank
    red and white are taped together and thats it (they are responsible for the two coils, so putting them together makes both coils function), assuming that your not doing any coil splitting........then the green and bare are soldered to the ground, which is the same place as the ground for the existing pups: the back of the pot
    Flank, thanks for the info!

No, I am not doing any coil splitting.

For the ground of the existing pickups, it looks as if the outside coating of the wires is what is soldered to the back of the pots. I am assuming that in the case of the new A2Ps, I have to "strip" the outside coating of both the green and bare and sodler the actual inside wire to the pot. Is that correct?

For the red and white cable, I will "strip" the outside coating of both wires, tie both cables together and tape them up? I don't have to solder both of those wires anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Z0S0
      Flank, thanks for the info!

No, I am not doing any coil splitting.

For the ground of the existing pickups, it looks as if the outside coating of the wires is what is soldered to the back of the pots. I am assuming that in the case of the new A2Ps, I have to "strip" the outside coating of both the green and bare and sodler the actual inside wire to the pot. Is that correct?

For the red and white cable, I will "strip" the outside coating of both wires, tie both cables together and tape them up? I don't have to solder both of those wires anywhere?
      Correct and correct.

Comment

It's pretty simple, as the guys have said. If you want, you can tie some fairly stiff wire to the pup wires, and fish them into the control cavity. The rest is a matter of desoldering the old pups one at a time, and then soldering the new pup wires in their place.
        "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Working...
        X