Bill Lawrence pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Lawrence pups

Alright what's the deal with this company? I've been to the website, I know they operate out of their house, but I've emailed and no response. I'm hesitant to call. I have to call his wife and talk about pickups? Seems a little weird. Not that she doesn't know pickups.

Why no good descriptions on the website of the L-500 series besides regular, lead, and super lead? Anyone use these things? No, I don't want to sound like Dime, I just wondered if one of the L-500s sound anywhere near a Jeff Beck or Super Distortion? Harmony Central didn't help much, but did a little.
    Gozer the Traveler. Gozer the Destructor. Gozer the Gozarian. Wait for a sign from Gozer the Traveler; he will come in one of the pre-chosen forms.

Re: Bill Lawrence pups

While there are certain things I don't like about the "spirit" of their website and forum, everything I've read or heard about, suggests that Bill and Becky are two very nice people who build a very high-quality pickup.

Its a family run business, so I don't see any problem with talking to Becky. She probably knows more about pups than many of us.

I don't use them myself, only because SD currently covers all my needs.

Artie

Comment

I wouldn't worry about calling Becky, but I bet if you give them some more time they will reply to your e-mail.
      I use the L-500XL, but I DO want to sound like Dimebag, and through my solid state half-stack I've got a sound that's close enough for me.
      Since this is the only Bill Lawrence pick-up I have ever used I am not very familier with the other models they sale. I'll just say I am very satisfied with the one I have and I wouldn't hesitate to order another of thier pick-ups.
      Rock On
      ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
      2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
      Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

There are two different companies with two different websites... I assume that you went to the first one, which is the company run by Bill and Becky Lawrence:

Steve Ahola

The Blue Guitar:
        http://www.blueguitar.org/

SoundClick Page:
        http://www.soundclick.com/steveahola

Comment

i have a set of bill lawrence 500XLs from the mid 80's that are spectacular

if you call and speak to becky or bill, you will see that there is absolutely no reason to be hesitant ... if you are patient and can wait for the pups, they will not dissapoint

they are very powerful and very transparent .. i do not detect an overemphasis in any of the frequency bands of interest (lows, lower mids, upper mids, highs) ... just a very clear, articulate pickup ... on "8" it is perfect for rhythm and on "10" it just kicks up for cutting through on solos

they are the only non SDs i own

good luck
          t4d
          gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll be calling them...

Yes, I meant the first one with pics of Bill and his family working on pickups and packaging.
            Gozer the Traveler. Gozer the Destructor. Gozer the Gozarian. Wait for a sign from Gozer the Traveler; he will come in one of the pre-chosen forms.

Comment

Working...
            X