Ceramic magnet thickness and tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic magnet thickness and tone?

Hey guys, here is the deal. I took an old JBL (16k total 7.9k screw 8.1k slug) and put a thicker then normal but not double thick ceramic magnet in it. The magnet is from an Entwistle HVX and is the same size used in the Dean DMT HWS Batio pickup. I really love how it sounds, I am addicted to it's tone. The thickness of the magnet in question is probably closer to 1 1/2 a normal alnico instead of the Duncan spacer on it's side double thickness. How close would this concoction be to a stock Distortion? From what I remember of the Distortion that I had 4 years ago, it sounds pretty similar. I tried a double thick ceramic magnet in a current production JB and didn't like it, it seemed more stiff then this current JBL one I have going on. Am I going to have to buy an Entwistle and JB everytime I need this pickup again to get the same sound, or will a Distortion work? How much does that difference in the thickness of the ceramic magnet effect the tone?

Re: Ceramic magnet thickness and tone?

Reviving this old thread!

I have same double thick Alnico 5s and 8s in the mail, and I’m curious to see if size really matters. For that matter, is it the girth or length that matters more?

Double entendres aside, does anybody know?
    Gibson LP, Burstbucker 3 A6, 490R A4
    Gibson LP, Pearly Gates A6, Sentient A4
    Gibson LP BFG, Burstbucker A8, P90
    Gibson SG special T, GFS Crunchy Mini, Gibson mini A3
    Strat SSS, SD STK-6 , SSL1 middle, Bootstrap Sparkle Neck
    Strat HSS hardtail, Perpetual Burn A6, Bootstrap Sparkle mid/neck
    Tele, DMZ Area Hot T, Gibson Mini A3
    Tele, DMZ Pegasus A2, Gibson Mini A3
    Jackson V, SD Pegasus bridge, 490R A5
    PRS SE CU24: Air Norton A2, 490R A3

Comment

I figure it's not the thickness or size of your magnet as much as how you use it. :P
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Double thick is louder, fatter, and deeper. Has a large effect.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

It's probably due to greater field density.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
            Double thick is louder, fatter, and deeper. Has a large effect.
            Funny, the volume and tone on my amp does the same thing. ;-)

I think the difference in the OP pickup is also the difference between old production vs new production JBs. My old 80’s JB is completely different from my new one. My old one doesn’t have the treble spike everyone complains about and it cleans up by rolling back the volume. My new one doesn’t do any of that.

Comment

Yeah my Ant JB sounds way different than a current JB. It sounds similar but also like a nice old hotter PAF. Can't wait to try my incoming JBJ.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

I think the difference in the OP pickup is also the difference between old production vs new production JBs. My old 80’s JB is completely different from my new one. My old one doesn’t have the treble spike everyone complains about and it cleans up by rolling back the volume. My new one doesn’t do any of that.
                I wonder what changed in the production for this nasty treb spike to happen ?
                Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post
                  I wonder what changed in the production for this nasty treb spike to happen ?
                  Metal parts with a higher carbon content and different magnets (old american production vs asian mass production)
                  I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
                  X