Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by \m/(00)\m/
    thanks guys.

any ideas of a good single coil/ single coil humbucker to go with it?

i was thinking of an HS-3 or a YJM.\

any suggstions?
    Either one will work well with the PAF PRO

Comment

I agree that the Paf Pro is great but the FRED is even better in my opinion. Slightly hotter with a little more mids that the Paf Pro... and very, very articulate.

Even if I'm not into brighter pickups (I would personnally go for a fatter Air Zone or Super Distortion in the DiMarzio line), the FRED impressed me A LOT.

My two cents worth to add to the general confusion

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
      Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Comment

i may actually try the super distortion.
        i tried a SD in the ace frehley les paul, and it sounded pretty good. i'd expect it to sound a "little" similiar since it was mahogany and so is my axe!

Comment

The Super Distortion is my favorite rock pickup, way more versatile than most people think... you can go from AC/DC to Metallica with this. The only pickup I like as much is the Seymour Duncan Custom for the bridge position - and hard rock. For blues or clean, it's another story.

I have an Epiphone LP Custom and I had a Standard before that. The Super Distortion had been in my guitars for years. Only the Custom made me forget the Super Distortion... well, not totally forget obviously

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
          Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Comment

does anyone have clips of it?

Comment

ok, here's my plan of actions: echange evo for paf pro, if i dont like paf pro, i'll try super distortion, if i dont like SD i'll try FRED, if i dont like FRED i'll try steve special, and if i dont like SP i'll try BREED, and if i dont like that i'll try the norton. and if i dont like that, i'll give up on dimarzio all together and go duncan

anyone got ideas of a good single coil for neck/ middle?
              also, does anyone have clips of the super distortion?

thanks

Comment

You stated that your sound was an "open" sound. I don't think you'll get that with a super distortioin. If you were to go with another one, I'd try an AirZone, not a SD.

Comment

For the neck I'd recommend an HS-3. The YJM is essentially an HS-3 w/ a staggered magnet setup that produces slightly higher highs. Personally I prefer the the HS-3, it's a little less squealy. But either one will cut out the noise, add some balls, and maintain a sweet "strat" tone. It's not a real hot pup either so it should match fairly well w/ a PAF Pro. Although maybe even a PAF Joe if you'd like a more balanced setup.

Comment

i tend to agree with sly, the fred is a great bridge pup that i used for years in my rg550 and it sounded great, its a little thicker than the paf pro which i like in the bridge. then i tried the patb3 and the fred lost its spot in that guitar

Comment

Working...
                    X