Ibanez RG 570 pickup suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez RG 570 pickup suggestions please

I am considering changing all 3 pickups in my Ibanez RG 570 which is a Basswood body w/ Edge trem (Floyd style). After discovering this very cool forum today in my quest for new pickups. I have a few questions;
    I am an 70's 80's kind of hard rock metal tone admirer and am always digging EVH brown sound circa VH II. I would like to get this tone out of the amps listed and the RG 570. I have read the Legendarytones review of the EVH and it appears that a resistance around 8.5 and a PAF type pickup is important.
    I guess my questions are:
    1) Will the evh custom shop do the trick with my rig;
    2) Is there any other options that would get me close without going custom shop;
    3) What would you recommend for the mid position single coil (I like a Trower tone there if possible.
    4) If I start with alnico II magnets do all my pickups have to be alnico II's?
    5) Can anyone explain a little about the alnico II characteristics compared to the alnico 5?
    For reference, I currently have an ibanez Jem 7DBK w/ breeds ( love it); a Tex Mex Fender Strat w/ texas specials and a jb jr in the bridge( not crazy about the jb jr but its OK); G&L tribute S-500 stock (what a great inexpensive guitar); 2004 Lp Std stock (Love it)and an Ibanez RG 570.
    For amps I have a Marshall JCM 800 2204 w/ 4x12; Marshall JCM200 TSL 122 and JCM 2000 DSL201 all with Mullards in the preamp.
    Thanks for reading this and for any suggestions you may have.

Re: Ibanez RG 570 pickup suggestions please

welcome to the forum!!

1) it will get you as close as you can get

2) i might suggest the patb-3 the blues trembucker, itll line up well and sounds killer

3) i think a ssl1 would be a good place to start, great strat tone

4) no, you can mix and match

5) alnico II has a warmer, smoother tone with less bottom end, more mids and less treble than alnico V

Comment

Thanks for the reply Jeremy.
      Is the patb-3, the blues saraceno?
      Does it come fspaced, which is what I think I need for this guitar.
      What neck humbucker would you suggest with the patb-3 in the bridge
      or the EVH in the bridge?
      Any idea on lead time on the EVH?
      I guess I'm balking at dropping @$300 in pickups into my $350 guitar, but they could always be used on a different axe.
      The other less expensive bridge pickups I'm considering are the custom custom and the screamin demon.
      Any suggestions on neck pickups with those?
      I'm thinking Jazz or 59.
      Thanks for the help.

Comment

Then again after listening to the Vholic clips maybe a pair of 59's.

Comment

the 59 in the neck is very bassy, its a bit woofy with distortion imo, it can still sound very very good though so dont get me wrong. if you wanna nail his tone, get a Marshall 100 Super Lead or a Peavey 5150, im sure you can trade in one of those marshalls for one. though thats something that i find weird, i 5150 doesnt sound anything like a marshall, though it was designed to sound how eddie wanted. and eddie always used marshalls.
          Cornford Hellcat
          Peavey 5150 - Marshall 1960A cab

Ibanez 1994 Jem7VWH - Stock
          Fender Strat - Fullshred/Duckbucker/lil59
          Fender Strat - Jb Jr bridge + 2x Fender Single coils
          Fender 1976 Precision Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueLightRideTV

Comment

Actually, Eddie went through Soldano days and then on to Peavey.... I guess thats just how his tone evolves....I know mine has too!!

Comment

the patb3 is trem spaced and is the blues saraceno model. great pup.
              no idea what the lead time is, youd have to call and find out.
              as far as neck pups, 59n, jazz, or even a pearly gates neck will work well

Comment

There was a guy who posted here some time ago, about the joys of a breed neck in the bridge of Ibanez RG5xxx & up series. It took me awhile until I finally ordered an F spaced version to replace my trusty paf pro and it's a killer!!!!!!!!!!.

I'm so happy with this pup that I'll be selling the paf pro. I'd never thought I'd do it, as I've always said I'll keep the paf pro no matter what !!!!

Since you've got one already in the neck of your Jem, try it out and see what you think.

You can thank me later.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, looks like I will be talking to the custom shop Monday regarding the EVH.

Comment

Working...
                  X