JB or Custom ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB or Custom ?

Hello fellow toners. Sam ash has 20% off tomorrow morning, so I'm going to do my part to support the ecomomy. I'm looking to up grade the bridge pickup in my Ibanez SZ520. The sz has a mahogany body and set neck, a maple cap and rosewood fret and will be played thru a vox ad60 valvetronics head and cabinet. I am looking for a versatile set up that can cover rock/metal as well as blues. Which one of these pickups do you guys think will best serve me and my quest for tonal versatility?

Re: JB or Custom ?

Hmmm... tough choice. Either one will probably get you where you want. I'd start with the JB, then trade it back in for the Custom if you don't like it.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

i'd go with the JB in that guitar...it has a bit more of an edge/grit to it than the custom for metal and can still do blues without a problem with some amp, tone and volume tweeking.

-Mike
      www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Yeah, go with the JB. I find it has an overall warmer vibe than the Custom, which you would want for your blues and non heavy tones.
        teles? voxes? what is happening to me?!

Comment

JB- It's kind of like black, it goes with evereything. If you don't like it in mahogany, you can always out it in something else later.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
            Hmmm... tough choice. Either one will probably get you where you want. I'd start with the JB, then trade it back in for the Custom if you don't like it.
            +1

I prefer the custom, becasue I like the more defined bass and the more "aggressive" character, but I think that the JB would suit this situation better
            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

JB, it's more versatile than the Custom and has better cleans.
              A C5 would be a good choice if you want a more PAFish vibe.

Comment

JB, JB, JB, JB, JB, JB, JB, JB, JB, JB, JB, JB,JB, JB, JB, JB, JB, JB, JB, JB, JB, JB, JB, JB.....

ummm.... I don't really know that's a tough choice!!!!!

The C5 is a good PuP, I've tried it and agree with Nightburst, its good for that Paf-type sound. I should have originally went with the JB because it is an incredibly versatile PuP.

JB all the way.
                Guitars: '12 LP Standard, Mid-90s 335, mid-90s LP Studio, mid-90s Am Standard Tele, '05 Larivee D-03 Acoustic
                Amps: Bogner Shiva 1x12 combo, Bogner Goldfinger 45, Bogner OS 2x12 Cabinet
                Pedals: Shur Riot, TS-9, Little Big Muff Pi, CE Audio Boost, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR Carbon Coby, EHX Small Clone, TC Electronics Vortex Flange, Fulltone Clyde Wah, vintage Ernie Ball volume pedal, Big Shot ABY, Boss OC-2 Octave
                Pedalboard: Furman pedalboard SPB-8C

Comment

i actually think the custom is great for a rock/blues thing, that over the top PAF vibe is really awesome!

Comment

I recommend the Custom for that axe.

Comment

Definetely the JB. You will not regret it.

Comment

Thanks for all the input my fellow tone brothers.

Comment

Working...
                        X