Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan SH-6 Magnet swap?

I am pretty new to magnet swapping.
    I bought a guitar and it came with an SH6 (as well as the original pickup)
    So the SH6 is ceramic, if I replaced it with an alnico magnet how much would it change?
    I am not a big ceramic magnet guy, I am much more into the low output PAF style, but I thought it may be fun to put a different magnet in there to see if it would make a difference
    "...Strange brew -- kill what's inside of you..."

Re: Duncan SH-6 Magnet swap?

All manner of magnets can alter the tone and feel of the Duncan Distortion, but none will make it sound like a PAF.

I recommend an A2 in order to experience the largest change into something that is still very usable.

Stick an A5 in it and you essentially have a JB. A single-thick ceramic and you essentially have a Dokkenbucker.

An A8 is one metal guys like to put in it.

The A2 turns it into an RTM (Warren DeMartini's pickup), more or less.

There's casual talk that the Distortion, JB and Invader are all the same wind. Some of this talk as well as talk running counter is often made authoritatively, but it's still just talk. So far the best I have seen doesn't rise above innuendo.

If there are differences, they are only going to be subtle, perhaps no less subtle than variation one might encounter due to tolerances in materials and manufacturing. So, you can choose to spend tens or hundreds of dollars, deliver the pickups in a black box to people who swear up and down that they know and watch them do no better than guess as to which is which.

Comment

Good description.
      Would an A2 make it less ummm "aggressive"?

Comment

Yes, but how much less is a subjective matter. You won't really know until you try.

It's too bad you aren't doing this with an SH-5/SH-11/SH-14, but the experience can still be rewarding with an SH-6.

Just turn the spacer(s?) on their side or take them out. You may want to grab a set of shorter brass screws, but that isn't necessary.
        Last edited by gregory; 11-09-2017, 09:45 AM.

Comment

maybe I should just sell it for whatever is fair and get something else

Comment

^^
            Now you're thinking.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

I hope I didn't give the impression that there is a subtle difference between an SH-6 and an SH-4 or an RTM, rather I meant a subtle difference between an SH-6 with an A2 and an RTM and a subtle difference between an SH-6 with an A5 and a JB.

There are marked differences between an SH-6, an SH-4 and an RTM, though none are anything like a vintage PAF. Of what I mentioned, an A2 in an SH-6 is still a medium output pickup, perhaps toward the hotter end of medium. It has a little squish due to the eddy currents caused by the metal content in the magnet, but the feel of the pickup is still compressed. The magnet also shifts the resonant peak lower into the mids and the harsh fizzy treble from the ceramic is removed.
              Last edited by gregory; 11-09-2017, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Thanks to both of you, I am going to think about it.
                The SH6 was "Free" as it came installed in a guitar, having a hotter humbucker may be fun since I have really only used PAF style before.
                Selling it, I guess I could get $50ish maybe

Comment

Try it, you might like it. If not, put it up for sale.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

I love my Distortion - definitely play it for a while before changing it. Try the middle position and lowering the volume on your neck pickup to about 6.5. At least for me this has given me a tone similar to a lower output bridge pickup. I do have 50s wiring though, which may make a difference.

Comment

I don't like the fizzyness of ceramic either although I do like the distortion. So I put a double thick A5 in it and it sounds good. I do like alnico in the center and ceramic on the sides tho. It gives just enough extra bite.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

I think I am going to try to sell or trade it, I could go down a rabbit hole of swapping or just move on

Comment

It can be a rabbit hole, for sure; especially when the wind simply isn't right for your purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronl View Post
                            I am pretty new to magnet swapping.
                            I bought a guitar and it came with an SH6 (as well as the original pickup)
                            So the SH6 is ceramic, if I replaced it with an alnico magnet how much would it change?
                            I am not a big ceramic magnet guy, I am much more into the low output PAF style, but I thought it may be fun to put a different magnet in there to see if it would make a difference
                            The best you can do is to sell that p'up to fund the one you really want. No mag swap will make that p'up sound anywhere near what you're asking for.

/Peter
                            Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
                            Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Be aware you need different brass screws if you go from a Double thick ceramic to a standard A5 or A2. There are double thick A5 availiable, too. There are a stronger and brighter than standard A5.
                              I recently swapped a Distortion into a Gibson Les Paul, which sounded a bit dull and lame. I love the outcome: briter, more mids and bass, livelier overall, although i dont like the cleans.
                              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
                              X