Duncan SH-6 Magnet swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Duncan SH-6 Magnet swap?

You don't "need" shorter brass screws to go from double thick to single thick. I know this to be a fact from personal experience.

That said, I had already included that caveat, for those who didn't read the entire conversation.
    Last edited by gregory; 11-11-2017, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Yep you did.
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Where does one procure these double thick alnico magnets?

Comment

Originally posted by Zheddar View Post
          Where does one procure these double thick alnico magnets?
          Bar magnets are commonly seen fitted to Humbuckers and P90s, but occasionally turn up on some bass and single coil pickups, fitted to the underside of steel poles.

HTH,
          Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
          Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Thank you very much!

Comment

I finally played a set of DDs in a Jackson V and was pleasantly surprised how musical they were. For mag swapping, can you double stack mags or do you need special thick ones? Curious if you can blend mags like a Mojotone Black Magic or BKP Juggernaut? So you can have both a ceramic and alnico? Imagine it might not be that simple as maybe those designs may utilize side by side as opposed to stacked magnets?

Comment

Originally posted by krovatron View Post
                I finally played a set of DDs in a Jackson V and was pleasantly surprised how musical they were. For mag swapping, can you double stack mags or do you need special thick ones? Curious if you can blend mags like a Mojotone Black Magic or BKP Juggernaut? So you can have both a ceramic and alnico? Imagine it might not be that simple as maybe those designs may utilize side by side as opposed to stacked magnets?
                I'd have to ask what you are trying to change about these musical pickups.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I'd have to ask what you are trying to change about these musical pickups.
                  Nothing yet, just being a silly, forward thinking tweaker. I was going to order a BM from Mojo but there are a few local used DDs for cheap and curious if that kind of experimenting is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by krovatron View Post

Nothing yet, just being a silly, forward thinking tweaker. I was going to order a BM from Mojo but there are a few local used DDs for cheap and curious if that kind of experimenting is possible.
                    Gotcha. On some winds, the results are transformative. On others, the wind seems to overpower any magnet change if that makes sense. Like, a JB still has that 'JB-ness' even with an A2.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The easiest way to mix ceramic and alnico is by replacing the inert spacers with ceramic spacer magnets and then stick an alnico in the middle. You can stack magnets on top of each other by forcing them together but it partially degausses them when you do that. You can get premade double thick magnets to avoid that or make your own.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                        The easiest way to mix ceramic and alnico is by replacing the inert spacers with ceramic spacer magnets and then stick an alnico in the middle. You can stack magnets on top of each other by forcing them together but it partially degausses them when you do that. You can get premade double thick magnets to avoid that or make your own.
                        That makes more sense. Do they happen to make Alnico spacers? Any recommended suppliers for the thick magnets?

Comment

Here is the link for ceramic or alnico spacers:

Bar magnets are commonly seen fitted to Humbuckers and P90s, but occasionally turn up on some bass and single coil pickups, fitted to the underside of steel poles.

Here is the link for double thick magnets:

The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                          X