Single Humbucker and Volume wiring - Volume working like tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Humbucker and Volume wiring - Volume working like tone

I have rewired my guitar with a S Duncan Distortion Humbucker and a volume, nothing else.

For some reason the Volume is acting like a tone.

I have used this wiring...Image Attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring Diagrams   Seymour Duncan   Seymour Duncan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	5846341

Why is the volume acting like a Tone?
    Last edited by stevensatch; 12-10-2017, 12:21 PM.

Re: Single Humbucker and Volume wiring - Volume working like tone

A resistor in series with an inductor provides a low-pass response. To avoid it you would need to go active. You might try a resistor and capacitor across the input and output of the volume control. That will keep more treble as you roll the volume down.

BTW, DiMarzio makes the Super Distortion, not Seymour Duncan. Some would consider that blasphemy.
    Last edited by gregory; 12-10-2017, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Sorry, I mean't Distortion only! All I want is the bridge pickup and a single volume. No switches or tone. Are you saying it cannot be done without a Capacitor? I know nothing about electronics

Comment

Yes, if you don't want to lose highs as you roll down the volume, you'll need a bypass capacitor. It's typically called a treble bleed.

Comment

If the volume is acting like a tone instead of a volume, typically that happens if you neglect to ground the third lug of the volume pot and/or neglect to ground the volume pot to the ground of the jack.

Comment

I get that and thanks for the info but it's still not going to fix my main problem which is that I want a volume and I'm getting a tone ... So basically when I roll down my volume...the volume is not going down at all ... it's just working like a tone, when it should be a volume
            Last edited by stevensatch; 12-10-2017, 12:56 PM.

Comment

I have one cable from the ground of the jack to the back of the pot. Reference: "The third lug of the volume pot" ... as I cannot see any connections on the diagram I have it untouched. Do you mean the third lug of the volume pot needs a wire to the back of the pot too?

Comment

Originally posted by stevensatch View Post
                the volume is not going down at all
                It doesn't sound like the volume control is getting ground. Could be a cold solder joint or the ground lug is no longer making contact with the business end of the control.
                Last edited by gregory; 12-10-2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevensatch View Post
                  I have one cable from the ground of the jack to the back of the pot. Reference: "The third lug of the volume pot" ... as I cannot see any connections on the diagram I have it untouched. Do you mean the third lug of the volume pot needs a wire to the back of the pot too?
                  Yes. The diagram shows the lug bent over and soldered to the back of the control.

Comment

Perfect! Thanks all!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X