X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Hyperion

tell us about these pickups....

Re: Seymour Duncan Hyperion

All I can find is that they are on the 2018 Ibanez AZ2402 Prestiges. Hyperion is also a pretentious little coffee shop around my neighborhood that looks at you funny if you order your coffee black. So I assume it sounds tonally similar to a Austrian goat milk double-half-caf-half-decaf-soy milk cappuccino - extra hot - with a dash of Madagascar cinnamon-and half tablespoon of caramel-latte-frappa-mocha.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        Hyperion is also a pretentious little coffee shop around my neighborhood that looks at you funny if you order your coffee black. So I assume it sounds tonally similar to a Austrian goat milk double-half-caf-half-decaf-soy milk cappuccino - extra hot - with a dash of Madagascar cinnamon-and half tablespoon of caramel-latte-frappa-mocha.
        sounds like those people dont like coffee. there is no way you can taste it with all that crap in there

Comment

From Gear4Music:

"Each AZ guitar includes Seymour Duncan 'Hyperion' pickups with Dyna-MIX switching. These pickups are currently un-released, but knowing what sort of players the AZ guitars are aimed at, they look set to be incredibly nuanced and well-rounded units, capable of great versatility."

The AZ's even come in a Deep Espresso finish!
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

Further research indicates they are probably Duncan Designed pickups with a fancy name.

Comment

Handsome Jack's new signature pickups? Found in his Diamond Pony and Butt Stallion guitars?

Comment

Further research indicates they are probably Duncan Designed pickups with a fancy name.
                What makes you think they're not USA? I couldn't imagine Ibanez putting non-USA Duncan pickups in these models. I would assume they would have used their own branded (ibanez) pickups if they were not going to be Duncan USA's.

This is the quote from Ibanez:
                Seymour Duncan® Hyperion™ Pickups feature a moderate output through Alnico-5 magnets to keep the clarity of the fundamental tone when using a distortion sound, and to deliver a clear pick attack. From treble to bass, the overall tonal balance is evenly adjusted., and works well with various effect pedals.

My guess is that its probably in the 12-14K range (bridge humbucker at least). Maybe a middle-ground between a Custom 5 and Pegasus?

Comment

As seems to be the case with the other pickups out this year available exclusively from ESP guitars, such as the Kirk Hammett EMG set in that purple sparkle LTD, and that Hunter pickup in the LTD Kami-4..
                  87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

They might be OEM models just for that guitar. I have no knowledge of this, so I am guessing. Riley would have to confirm this.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Custom wind by MJ for Ibanez. They share some DNA with the Pegasus/Sentient set. The pickups are exclusive to the Ibanez AZ series guitars, and they are USA made - not Duncan Designed. That's all I can say for now. Ibanez will probably release more specs at NAMM.

Comment

Originally posted by Riley View Post
                        Custom wind by MJ for Ibanez. They share some DNA with the Pegasus/Sentient set. The pickups are exclusive to the Ibanez AZ series guitars, and they are USA made - not Duncan Designed. That's all I can say for now. Ibanez will probably release more specs at NAMM.
                        Based on the description from Ibanez that I posted above, I think my guess was pretty on-the-money (similar to a Pegasus). Also great that my assumption that they were USA made was also correct. Very cool to learn that they are a custom wind by MJ for Ibanez!

Thanks for the confirmation Riley! I am now even more interested in trying out the Ibanez AZ guitars.
                        Last edited by AkiraSpectrum; 01-18-2018, 01:36 PM.

Comment

In the Ibanez website, they show a humbucker tapping option called “power tap” that seems to be different from simply one coil of a hum. Anyone know what that is?

Comment

It's a partial tap of some sort. Essentially they cut the volume of one coil instead of cutting it 100% off.

Comment

It's a partial tap of some sort. Essentially they cut the volume of one coil instead of cutting it 100% off.
                              Is it done by tapping in with fewer wraps?

Comment

Working...
                              X