X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hh 5 way switch 1 tone 1 volume 2 push push need wiring help

Hello guys!

I would like to ask whether it is possible to achieve something like this

When I have 5 way switch in Stratocaster style.

The pickups are SD Alpha Omega

I would also like to know if it is possible to have one push push pot to change series hb to paralel hb
    EDIT: Possibly with neck north only in pos 2 and bridge south only on pos 4. I am very new to this wiring thing (i understand the basics but that switching is throwing me off)

thank you all for your time!
    Last edited by SpaceHippo; 01-19-2018, 04:22 PM.

Re: hh 5 way switch 1 tone 1 volume 2 push push need wiring help

It's totally doable with a Fender 5-Way Super Switch. Series/Parallel for both pickups and coil splitting may or may not require putting a push/pull or push/push for both pots. You can definitely do both pickups in Series/Parallel with one Fender S-1 switch. ...or did you only want to do one pickup in Series/Parallel? You weren't clear.

If BriGuy doesn't provide you with a professional-looking schematic, I'll put up one of my usual diagrams specifically for the switches.

In the meantime, I would maybe reconsider some of your options and also consider flipping the magnet in one pickup so the combined split modes are hum-cancelling.

I'll post a link to some recent HH switching discussions in case it's helpful.
    Last edited by gregory; 01-19-2018, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Are you using a 5-way from a strat? Or a super/mega switch? If you’re using one from a strat, I think that if you wire the 5 way as a telecaster, with two humbucker you should get
      1. Neck
      2-3-4. Both
      5. Bridge
      Which in m opinion is prettY redundant, better will be a 3-way switch/toggle. Then with push/push or push/pull you can select inner coils, outer coils or series/parallel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Comment

Originally posted by gregory View Post
        Totally doable with a Fender 5 Way Super Switch.

If BriGuy doesn't provide you with a professional-looking schematic, I'll put up one of my usual diagrams specifically for the switches.
        Hey man thank you! Is it possible with standard Strat switch or i should go out and buy myself MEGA 5 way switch?

Comment

You can't do that with a standard 5-way.

I recommend the Fender Super Switch instead of tying your hands with one of the dedicated Schaller switches which only serves to limit your options.
          Last edited by gregory; 01-20-2018, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Some links as promised:

I'd toss the option for outer coils as well as running the pickups by themselves split, personally. I'm also very doubtful I'd like the Alpha in parallel. You won't know what you like until you try, though.
            Last edited by gregory; 01-19-2018, 05:29 PM.

Comment

I wrote a blog about this switching. I use it in several guitars. It does require a magnet flip, though.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

FWIW I'd do the following with the Alpha & Omega Set:

1: Bridge in series
                2: Bridge in parallel
                3: Inner Slug Coils* (hum-cancelling)
                4: Bridge in series and Neck in series (combined in parallel)
                5: Neck in series

No other switching.

I think I already have the a pinout handy for a 5WSS.

(*) The only thing that concerns me is that there isn't much inductance in the neck pickup, so position 3 could be extremely lackluster. In its place I'd consider the parallel combination of the bridge in parallel and the neck in series. I'd make that position 4 and move what is in position 4 above to position 3.
                Last edited by gregory; 01-19-2018, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Thank you all for replies!

I think i will go this way, just need to buy myself that MEGA Switch

Comment

Here's a diagram for a Fender 5-Way Super Switch to get the following:

3: Bridge in series and Neck in series (combined in parallel)
                    4: Neck in series and Bridge in parallel (combined in parallel)

Click image for larger version

Name:	5WSS (SpaceHippo).png
Views:	1
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	5804935

You might like position 4 to be the neck split to the outer coil instead of what is there now. Let me know if you want this or any other changes and I'll see what I can do.

Comment

Here's a diagram for a Fender 5-Way Super Switch to get the following:

3: Bridge in series and Neck in series (combined in parallel)
                      4: Neck in series and Bridge in parallel (combined in parallel)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86355[/ATTACH]

You might like position 4 to be the neck split to the outer coil instead of what is there now. Let me know if you want this or any other changes and I'll see what I can do.
                      Hey thanks man

I mostly want the single coil sounds (neck north and bridge south) and also every single coil (e.g. bridge south, bridge north, bridge north- neck south paralel, neck south, neck north) as well as having bridge and northi in humbucking (series/paralel) -> i have 2 push push pots, is that doable?

Comment

Per waltschwarzkopf's post, use a 3-way to select either or both pickups and use the two push pulls to configure both pickups to be series/parallel/north coil/south coil.

That gives you a total of 12 combinations: all the ones you had asked for originally plus three more.

Here:
                        Last edited by gregory; 01-22-2018, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Per waltschwarzkopf's post, use a 3-way to select either or both pickups and use the two push pulls to configure both pickups to be series/parallel/north coil/south coil.

That gives you a total of 12 combinations: all the ones you had asked for originally plus three more.

Here:
                          Wow i cant elieve i missed it! im going that way!

also is it ok to ground to outside of pins of push push pot?

Comment

Ok so i wired it same way just used standard 5 way switch instead of 3, but i am getting signal only on positions 2 and 4, what ave i done wrong?

Shouldnt be it like 1 neck 2-3-4 both 5 bridge?

Comment

Its import type switch, am i supposed to connect wires like 1-3 and 5-3 and then add the one going to pin on volume pot to 3?

Sorry for all the dumb question but im getting kinda lost

EDIT: As for why i want to still use 5 way switch, i figured it would be easier to switch to 2-3-5 during live than 3 way switch
                              Last edited by SpaceHippo; 01-23-2018, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X