Neck pups - Phat cat vs. Jazz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck pups - Phat cat vs. Jazz

Which is brighter, snappier, ect. I'm hoping some of the more experienced guys will chime in and help a bro out.

I'm thinking about turning my H-S-S strat into H-H. American fender, alder (I guess becasue it is a solid color), rosewood board. and I'm thinking about a JB in the bridge.
    I've heard some killer sound sample of the phat cats a while back on this forum and I can't rember who or what guitar it was. Also, if any one has sound clips of the Jazz it would be appreciated.

Overall, I just want opinions on what I can expect. I play everything - from modern rock to heavy rock to classic rock to some stuff that is supposed to sound like blues

Re: Neck pups - Phat cat vs. Jazz

Originally posted by Naps
    Which is brighter, snappier, ect.
    Phat cat. It has more glass than the jazz, and it's a bit brighter in that single coil way. The jazz is warmer and not as edgy. Both are nice.
    My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Thanks, how does the phat cat stand up to distortion? vs. the Jazz.

Comment

I've had a different experience of the two pickups. Too me, the Phat Cat has more mids than the jazz, and its covers more frequency from lows to highs. The jazz is brighter, smoother and will hold up to heavy, saturated distortion better just becasue its a humbucker. Here is a soundclip-the lead at the beginning is a phat cat in a tele, then it switches to a JB in the bridge (the rhythm is the middle position).

Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

Thanks! I really like the JB's tone though. Do they work well together?

Comment

Yeah, the JB sounds killer-its one of the older "JBJ" models. I like the way they sound together, but the phat cat has more alot more bass and is thicker sounding then the JB. the middle position sounds really good, especially for rhythm.
            Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

Working...
            X