banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Triple Shot / P-Rails Settings (basic question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple Shot / P-Rails Settings (basic question)

I installed a P-rails in the neck position of my PRS 245 SE.
    I followed all instructions, including soldering green to G, black to B, etc., etc. Everything seems to work fine.

I just need the settings verified, because the manual on the P-rails assumes you use toggle switches and the manual for the triple shot assumes you use a regular humbucker with slug poles and adjustable poles. So, is this correct?

Again, I installed the P-Rails in the neck position, arranged with the P-90 closest to the neck, the rail closest to the bridge end.

Positions:
    Both switches towards the middle: Series humbucker
    Both switches pushed away from each other: Parallel humbucker
    Both switches pushed towards the neck: Rail??
    Both switches pushed toward the bridge: P90??

Re: Triple Shot / P-Rails Settings (basic question)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180610_080848.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	5808558

Comment

They are installed? Tap each coil with a screwdriver.

Your logic sounds correct.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have Triple Shots in my SG, but I can't remember which one I wired backwards so that both the neck and bridge have the same settings for Rail / P-90. Regardless of how they're wired, both switches toward the outside will be parallel, while both switches toward the inside will be series. Regarding the other two, it should be easy to determine which is which since the P-90 is A LOT louder than the Rail.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

It would seem, then, that my original post is correct.

I need to find a time when the house is empty, because right now I'd describe the P-90 as definitely hotter, but not super loud compared to the other side. Not sure if that's a bad thing, or if I will just notice the difference more at non-bedroom volumes.

Comment

You are correct on all counts.

I personally prefer to wire all of my Triple Shots with the alternate wiring so that the two split settings are reversed from what you have. In other words, when both switches are pointed toward the neck the neck coil is active (the P-90 in your case). And when both switches are toward the bridge the bridge coil is active (the rail coil). The series and parallel settings are unaffected by this wiring change. It just seems to make much more sense to me.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

That would, in fact, make more sense. I think I'll leave it for now. But I have a couple tone pots that are slightly scratchy. Might consider changing at the point when I go in to address that.

Comment

Question.

Supposing I want to make life difficult for myself and wire these to a Fender 4-way switch, so I can get neck and bridge in series as well as in parallel.

What do I do with the bare wire from each pickup?

If it were a Tele neck pickup, I would have to separate the link between the lipstick cover and the pickup ground wire, then run a third wire from the lipstick cover to the back of a pot. Same too with a regular humbucker in an HH setup with the 4-way switch.

Comment

Working...
                X