Adam Jones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam Jones

anybody know exactly what seymour duncans adam jones of tool uses, i've been looking everywhere but can't find a thing.

Re: Adam Jones

he uses a JB in the bridge.
    not sure about the neck, but i think a '59.

though rumor has it that he will be switching to a distortion sh-6 for their upcoming album.

Comment

to add something... if you're looking for a similar type sound, adam's uniqueness comes from his 4-channel amp with multi effects pedals. the pickup plays a very small part.

Comment

Lots of gitarists moved to amps like Diezel en Bogner over the last few years but they still got their signature sound. In Adams case id say his silverburst and his fingers are contributing more to his sound then his amp and effects.
        My Gear

Comment

I've heard Adam Jones's sound is a Jazz in the neck. Try it. Jazz in the neck, then adjust your EQ (lower the bass) and you'll hear it too.
          7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Originally posted by joelap
            I've heard Adam Jones's sound is a Jazz in the neck. Try it. Jazz in the neck, then adjust your EQ (lower the bass) and you'll hear it too.
            You probably won't hear it, as he very rarely uses the neck pup in the studio, and never live. The bridge pickup is a JB, and the neck is probably stock.

IIRC, most of the Tool sound we know and love is a Marshall Bass head.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Adam uses a Marshall super bass quite a bit...as for the pickups they are a JB and a Jazz...the jazz sees very little useage...I have heard that lately the JB's have been being swapped out for Distortions.
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                Adam uses a Marshall super bass quite a bit...as for the pickups they are a JB and a Jazz...the jazz sees very little useage...I have heard that lately the JB's have been being swapped out for Distortions.
                +1.
                the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                  You probably won't hear it, as he very rarely uses the neck pup in the studio, and never live. The bridge pickup is a JB, and the neck is probably stock.

IIRC, most of the Tool sound we know and love is a Marshall Bass head.
                  I'll take your word for it that most of it is a JB, but I know he has a Jazz in there. I've taken my Jazz pickup in my neck, and Dialed down the bass and got a reasonably close sound.
                  7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Originally posted by joelap
                    I'll take your word for it that most of it is a JB, but I know he has a Jazz in there. I've taken my Jazz pickup in my neck, and Dialed down the bass and got a reasonably close sound.
                    He said in a GP interview (Lateralus era) that he occasionally switched pickups in the studio, but turned the neck pickup's volume knob to zero live, and used the switch as an on/off.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I've also heard that his silverburst has alot to do with the sound he gets.. it could be a rumor.. but i've heard that he hasn't changed his tubes in ages either.. is that possible?
                      Guitars: '12 LP Standard, Mid-90s 335, mid-90s LP Studio, mid-90s Am Standard Tele, '05 Larivee D-03 Acoustic
                      Amps: Bogner Shiva 1x12 combo, Bogner Goldfinger 45, Bogner OS 2x12 Cabinet
                      Pedals: Shur Riot, TS-9, Little Big Muff Pi, CE Audio Boost, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR Carbon Coby, EHX Small Clone, TC Electronics Vortex Flange, Fulltone Clyde Wah, vintage Ernie Ball volume pedal, Big Shot ABY, Boss OC-2 Octave
                      Pedalboard: Furman pedalboard SPB-8C

Comment

yeah, supposedly his silverburts had some problems with the finish used and players complained about the tone. adam enjoyed it however and stuck with it, while many others returned theirs and gibson discontinued its manufacturing of those kind. and so on and so forth.

in my opinion, i really dont think the guitar has that much to do with his unique sound. the way he structures his songs is probably one important factor. and i still think his diezel amp has lots to do with it. i couldn't see how it wouldn't...

Comment

He uses a Mesa Dual Recto Stack, a Marshall Non-Master volume bass stack, and a Deisel 4 channel stack. His LP has been discontinued because players complained about the tone that (i am pretty sure) the metallic-alloy chips in the paint gave the guitar. His tone has to do with his whole rig, not just the way he plays (even tho that contributes I am sure) ...What can I say, they are my favorite band, I know just about everything about em!
                          Its not about love or hate, wrong or right, its about perception. Just do it, say it, feel it. There are no lies... lies are too human. Its so much thought that its none at all. Its no religion, its not defined. Its not even real. Its about being connected to the point that you didnt even know. Its the reassuring peace in pain because it hit you & its over & you felt it. Its the pits of Hell found in Heaven. Its not being connected with a god... we are all god...

Comment

umm. you've basically repeated what everyone else has already said...?... but i guess that reallly doesn't matter. exuse my pissy mood.

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/593/ for a reference to what was said above.

Comment

Working...
                            X