banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help! Trying 2 find single coil neck pickup that will sound good with my sh-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help! Trying 2 find single coil neck pickup that will sound good with my sh-8

I have a custom fender cyclone. w/ a Floyd Rose pro tremelo. I replaced everything except for the body (which is a alder body) and the neck (which is a maple neck). I replaced the stock pickups with a seymour duncan single coil little 59er for the neck and a seymour duncan sh-8 invader for the bridge. My problem is I hate the sound of the little 59er it sounds really muddy. I love the sh-8's distorted sound but not a fan of the sh-8's clean sound. I would like to find a single coil pickup for the neck that has a great crisp clean sound that won't sound extremely weird while toggling back and forth. I know I'm in bit of a bind because the sh-8 is so hot but I really love the way it sounds. What I am trying to do is use a neck pickup for the clean and the sh-8 bridge for the dirty. If anyone has any suggestions please email me @ [email protected]

Thanks nivek!

Re: Please help! Trying 2 find single coil neck pickup that will sound good with my sh-8

Did you change your pots? If not I'd say first give the CTS500K's a shot. That might be the cure!

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Re: Please help! Trying 2 find single coil neck pickup that will sound good with my sh-8

Sorry, no direct mailing.... What didn't you like about the stock sound, and what sound are you aiming for. I believe the cyclone is a semi-surf guitar ala jag or mustang. You must've got the ver2, cause that's got single coil spaces only.

Anyhoo, if you've popped a lil '59 at the neck, and it sounds muddy to you, you might try a pup that is alot brighter in character. Twangbanger? Is your tone control working properly? The lil 59 is actually a humbucker in a single coil footprint. Was it specifically a neck lil'59? Cause if it's intended for the bridge, the eq might be less toppy, which mean that in the neck, not toppy enough?

I'd suggest liking the clean sound first, then adjust factors that contribute to distorted sound ie: stompboxes, amps, pickup boosters etc. It's you fundamental sound.

Pots might need change, as said before, especially if the stock guitar was all single coil.
      '96 MIM Fender Strat: nck-APS1 + mid-APS1 Alnc II Pro Stg RwRp + brdg-Lil '59
      Korea Squire '97 Strat: The MIM's stock pups
      Epiphone '96 Sheraton: Stock 'buckers
      Samick Tele: Tele HotRails in bridge + stock neck

Comment

This is exactly along the lines of a Cyclone that I've wanted to build myself.
        I'd use a "tapped" Quarter Pound in there. Use it full-on with the bridge, for a nice balance.
        Use it "tapped" by itself for a clean, jangly, single-coil sound.

Comment

Working...
        X