Tele Pickup Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele Pickup Advice Needed

Hey guys, I wanna change the pickups in my MIM tele but i'm having trouble deciding what to put in the bridge. I've settled on a Vintage Stack in the neck but i just can't decide between a Lil '59 or a Hot Stack in the bridge. They all sound great individually on the soundclips but i'm not sure what would go together best. Does anyone have a guitar with a Vintage Stack in the neck and either of the other 2 in the bridge so they can make a recommendation? (or maybe sound clips?)

Thanks
    James

Re: Tele Pickup Advice Needed

Hi deg0ey,

Welcome to the forum!!

One of our admins here, Robert S., has the Hot Stack/Vintage Stack combo in an American Standard Tele. I won't speak directly for him; but I have asked about that combo and he seems to like it very much. With the Hot Stack, you're going to retain some twang and with the LiL 59, you're going to be more like a PAF.
    Last edited by Butch Snyder; 03-11-2005, 08:14 AM. Reason: Spelling....
    -Butch

Comment

thanks for the help, maybe robert'll be along later to help

Comment

nice choice on the vintage stack for tele (neck) .. i like it alot in my 52ri clone .. i think you'll like it alot .. i used the paired vintage stack for tele (bridge), so i cant help you directly on that

remember, with the 21 day return policy, you can try one and if by chance you are unhappy, you can return for the other instead

good luck
        t4d
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

good point, but i'm uk based and buying while in america on vacation as it is cheaper...might make it hard to return it lol

Comment

Originally posted by deg0ey
            No problem.... You can PM him if you like.

Also, I have a Set of Vintage Stacks in my Tele and in the clubs I play, the lighting and hum is terrible. I couldn't make it without the Vintage Stacks...Even though it's not my #1....
            -Butch

Comment

good point, but i'm uk based and buying while in america on vacation as it is cheaper...might make it hard to return it lol

if you can swing it, buy both (or more) .. try em all and resell the leftovers to your toneseeking countrymen, probably at a profit to you while they save some money

just a thought

cheers
              t4d
              gear list in profile

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

haha genius, not sure if i'll be able to afford it though - got some saving to do

Comment

Originally posted by Butch Snyder
                  No problem.... You can PM him if you like.
                  Spoke to Robert earlier and i think i'm gonna go with the '59, unless anyone has any better ideas?

Comment

... unless anyone has any better ideas?
                    you will be hard pressed to find but 3 or 4 guys on this board (or anywhere else, i dare say) who have ideas AS GOOD as Robert's, let alone better ...

i bet you'll love the '59

cheers
                    t4d
                    gear list in profile

Comment

If you can swing a little extra money for your trip, then you might think about picking up an inexpensive Tele SC as well -- like the STL-2 Hot Tele lead. That way you could always switch between a good Tele SC and a good Tele HB with comparable output but different tone. I think the worst part of Tele SC noise comes from the neck pickup anyway. For less than $60 extra you'd be well stocked until your next trip.
                      Last edited by Kelsey; 03-11-2005, 02:46 PM.

Comment

I'm quite partial to the Quarter Pound Tele myself. High output and all of the Tele tone. With the size of the magnet on that thing, it twangs hard!
                        www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

The Hot Stack lead would blend better in the middle position, i'm using one in a new Squire tele and it retains the tele sound better then a hotrails pu>
                          Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days
                            you will be hard pressed to find but 3 or 4 guys on this board (or anywhere else, i dare say) who have ideas AS GOOD as Robert's, let alone better ...

i bet you'll love the '59
                            I think you're right there, he definitely sounded like he knew what he was talkin about...'59 it is

Comment

Working...
                            X