Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TBX Modded Pot Into a Single Humbucker 1 volume, 1 Tone Diagram

Hey All,

So I've taken an interest recently in the Fender TBX Control. And I read some cool mods to actually get this thing to behave like a true treble cut, and bass cut in its one knob. . Apparently as its originally wired, that doesnt happen...but modding the TBX away from stock fender instructions gets you there. I got some guidance from Premier Guitar https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...rol_Mod_Part_2 After the mod it would work like the G&L PTB system from their Legacy guitars, but with only 1 knob instead of 2.

I found a pot diagram online and made some edits (changed a value, and removed a connection I didn't need). Check it out and tell me if its wired properly:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tbx_hi_low_mod.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	5849018

What I want to do is incorporate this modded TBX into the Seymour Duncan single humbucker, 1 vol, 1 tone instrument below (replacing the tone knob in the diagram). Im just not sure how wiring would be done since this is a dual ganged pot...and any TBX or G&L PTB diagrams i find use a few single coils along with selector switches.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SD 1Hum-1V-1T.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	5849019

I plan to reach out to Seymour Duncan support as well, but thought I would start here.

Re: TBX Modded Pot Into a Single Humbucker 1 volume, 1 Tone Diagram

The middle lug on the bottom section (furthest from the shaft) comes from the pickup selector switch, and the middle lug of the top section goes to the volume control.

Just a tip, you might want a smaller bass cut cap. The smaller the value, the more prominent the effect. Unless you have a super bass heavy pickup, a .0047uf cap will do very little. I use a .0015uf cap myself.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
      The middle lug on the bottom section (furthest from the shaft) comes from the pickup selector switch, and the middle lug of the top section goes to the volume control.

Just a tip, you might want a smaller bass cut cap. The smaller the value, the more prominent the effect. Unless you have a super bass heavy pickup, a .0047uf cap will do very little. I use a .0015uf cap myself.
      You mentioned a pickup selector...but I asked about a single pickup setup. There will be no such selector in my setup. I just want to know how the wiring will work by swapping the modded TBX into the tone position of the provided Seymour Duncan 1 Hum, 1V, 1T diagram. But thanks for the info.

Regarding the ton caps. I should have mentioned this is for a single pickup bass guitar using a rail humbucker. Im doing a couple of project mods on two Bronco basses. One bass will use the TBX control...and the other will use push pull knob on the tone(which Artie helped me understanding the wiring on that)

Im still new at wiring and soldering...so I check in with you guys before getting my hands dirty. I do plan to experiment with different cap value though, and see which gets the best results.
      Last edited by Kayxero; 08-26-2018, 10:14 AM.

Comment

In which case, the middle lug of the bottom section comes directly from the pickup (black wire).
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
          In which case, the middle lug of the bottom section comes directly from the pickup (black wire).
          So I should disregard the SD diagram? Because on their diagram...the black hot pickup wire goes to the Volume pot first. Im still new to this...so just trying to understand.

EDIT : So Im reading the Seymour Duncan Wiring Diploma articles. I figure I need to get a true understanding of how pots and switches all work. Inputs, Outputs, lugs, grounds, etc. This way I can wire things up more easily without needing too much help. I'd still love replies here, but Im going to try to learn from reading those articles along the way
          Last edited by Kayxero; 08-26-2018, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayxero View Post
            So I should disregard the SD diagram? Because on their diagram...the black hot pickup wire goes to the Volume pot first. Im still new to this...so just trying to understand.
            Yup. Pickup to TBX (in the manner mentioned earlier) to the left volume lug. The middle volume lug goes to output. Don't forget all the proper grounding of the pot casings and bridge as well.

Comment

Working...
            X