banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are my humbucker out of phase with each other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are my humbucker out of phase with each other?

i got some pickups for my paul, duncan 59's for the neck and bridge... they sound pretty good but in the middle position i loose a bit of bass... it's doesn't sound bad but it seems a little odd... i tried flipping one of the pickups to see if it was wired backwards but it sounds the same... i've read a little about flipping the magnet in pickups 'cause sometimes the polaritys are reversed but i would think that seymour duncan designed these pickups to go together so they should sound right... i don't know, maybe it's the way they're suposed to sound but i'm not real sure... any ideas?

Re: are my humbucker out of phase with each other?

I don't think it is possible to have humbuckers that are out of phase with each other. It appears to be a phenomenon observed with single coil pickups only.

Comment

well i reversed the magnet in the pup... it was easier then i thought... it sounds much better now... alot more low end... during my reading search the duncans say to rotate the magnet 180 degrees but not to do it to 4 wire models because it could damage the pickup... how can that be? curious

Comment

Originally posted by marrstians
        well i reversed the magnet in the pup... it was easier then i thought... it sounds much better now... alot more low end... during my reading search the duncans say to rotate the magnet 180 degrees but not to do it to 4 wire models because it could damage the pickup... how can that be? curious
        With a 4 wire pickup you can reverse the phase by inverting the wires:

Instead of BLACK use GREEN
        Instead of WHITE use RED
        Instead of RED use WHITE
        Instead of GREEN use BLACK

With a single conductor lead it is usually easiest just to "flip" the magnet although you can switch the wires coming from the two bobbins internally.

BTW rotating the pickup 180 degrees ala Peter Green does nothing to the phase relationship.

Glad to hear that you solved the problem!
        Steve Ahola

The Blue Guitar:
        http://www.blueguitar.org/

SoundClick Page:
        http://www.soundclick.com/steveahola

Comment

Originally posted by BlueGuitar
          With a 4 wire pickup you can reverse the phase by inverting the wires:

Instead of BLACK use GREEN
          Instead of WHITE use RED
          Instead of RED use WHITE
          Instead of GREEN use BLACK

With a single conductor lead it is usually easiest just to "flip" the magnet although you can switch the wires coming from the two bobbins internally.

BTW rotating the pickup 180 degrees ala Peter Green does nothing to the phase relationship.

Glad to hear that you solved the problem!

yeah... i figured that the flipping the pickup itself didn't work the old fashion way... could fliping the magnet on a four conductor really hurt the pickup itself or do they just not really want you doing it 'cause you might break something?

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent
            I don't think it is possible to have humbuckers that are out of phase with each other. It appears to be a phenomenon observed with single coil pickups only.
            All you do is switch hot and Ground on one, and they´re out of phase (If they were in phase before)
            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

ah... but the ground wire is exposed like the clasic paf pickups... so switching the wires would ground out the hot of the neck pup... might work on most pickups but not this time...

Comment

Are you confusing ground with shield? The shield wire is exposed and always goes to a pot. The green wire is the ground. To make my axe sound right, I actually have green/black as my serial link.

Comment

Working...
                X