Tele Antiquity PuPs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele Antiquity PuPs

I bought this set off Lew and like always, he was generous in helping me decide what tele set would suite my needs, plus took the time out to walk me through the installation process yesterday and today. They are pricey pickups, but well worth the money. I don't forsee me ever, ever trading these Antiquity Pups in.

I dug into them this afternoon with my amp on 10 and loved the sound. I am gonna take the tele to rehearsal next time, so I will update everyone on how the tele holds up. I play in a modern rock quartet, two guitar players. I handle most of the ear candy and rhythm playing.

For starters, the packaging is VIP. They come in these boxes unlike the normal plastic ones that other SD pups come in. They also come wrapped in a high-end potato-looking sack to protect them from collecting dust. Seymour personally signs a piece of paper clarifying that he actually wound them (at least, it looks like his signature, maybe someone could clarify this point). Secondly, these PuPs look like they've been sitting for 50 years!!! They are seriously vintage looking, even down to the screws looking aged. They look incredible and this afternoon, I felt like it was 1953! These pickups are like a time machine!

Now for the sound. They possess that undeniable tele tone. They are glassy, but not too twangy. You can hear the twang but it is extremely modest, and that's the way I like it. The bridge pup is warm and mid-rangy. I play through a DSL 50 watt Marshall 4x12 stack. I turned up the dial to ten and just let it rip and I must say, there wasn't any problem getting this Antiquity single coil sounding in the humbucker range. VERY BALLSY and DISTINCT.

The neck pickup is my favorite. I listen to alot of Jeff Buckley, especially his live, solo material re: Live at Sayn-e and bootlegs where it is just Jeff and his guitar. The Antiquity neck pup carries and rings beautifully. It isn't strat-ish, nor humbucker-ish but if I had to compare it to a neck bucker, I'd compare it to the SH-2 Jazz neck. Simply wonderful.

I recommend these Pups to anyone. If you can afford the doe, pick them up! In fact, mine are on my visa!

Ang.
    Guitars: '12 LP Standard, Mid-90s 335, mid-90s LP Studio, mid-90s Am Standard Tele, '05 Larivee D-03 Acoustic
    Amps: Bogner Shiva 1x12 combo, Bogner Goldfinger 45, Bogner OS 2x12 Cabinet
    Pedals: Shur Riot, TS-9, Little Big Muff Pi, CE Audio Boost, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR Carbon Coby, EHX Small Clone, TC Electronics Vortex Flange, Fulltone Clyde Wah, vintage Ernie Ball volume pedal, Big Shot ABY, Boss OC-2 Octave
    Pedalboard: Furman pedalboard SPB-8C

Re: Tele Antiquity PuPs

I want a set
    Originally posted by The Minstrel
    Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

Great review! I'm going to have to get a set one these days.
      '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

I don't think you could do much better than get a hand wound tele set from Seymour and MJ.

that is a very well balanced set, smooth and sweet, but also with a little bite ... very touch sensitive, and just a lot of darn fun to play!
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

Love mine, too.

Comment

Working...
          X