A quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick question

I have had my strat for awhile now (since '99) and until recently never gave a whole lot of thought to this. I have always enjoyed the tone and warmth of the stock pick ups that it came with (I have only replaced the bridge with a Hot Rails). My question is: what kind of p/ups come stock (i.e. Alnico II, Alnico 5, etc.) on an American Strat? I am just curious.
    Klown

American Standard Strat (Left Handed. Oh, yeah)
    Neck: Strat stock
    Mid: Strat stock
    Bridge: Hot Rail

Amp: Peavey Classic 50 2/12

Effects: Various

(Insert funny/clever/inspirational quote here)

Shameless Plug: *Use Warmoth Parts* :afro:

Re: A quick question

usually alnico V of some kind but it depends on what model

Comment

yes, A5 mags

I don't know what the specs were in '99 ... the current American Series strats are wound somewhere around 6k with a slightly hotter bridge - I've read that it's about 7k - and the mid tone control is wired to the bridge too
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

Cool, Alnico V! I have always liked the sound of my guitar. Now, as far as A5 vs. A2 what is the major difference? Are the 5's hotter? Or is it just more magnetic pull? I was toying with the idea of dropping a JB jr. in the bridge and two Duckbuckers in the mid and neck. Yeah, I ask a lot of silly questions.

Hazzah!
        Klown

Comment

Your questions are covered in the FAQ on the main site, but to save you the trouble of searching ...

A5s: brighter, glassier, and more "historically accurate", strong bottom, bright top
          A2s: fatter warmer with somewhat less bottom, smoother top, and less string pull/ more sustain

A5s are not "hotter". Hotter has to do not with the magnet, but rather with the coil winding ... more winds = "hotter", more mids

I believe that A5 strat pickups have a tad more dynamic range because of the brightness. A2s, wth less pull, are a little more touch sensitive, and compress somewhat when pushed (not a bad thing, IMO)
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

Cool. Thank you!
            Klown

Comment

And both the JB jr. and duckbuckers are ceramic pickups voiced to sound like Alnico 5.
              Originally posted by The Minstrel
              Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

Working...
              X