Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stock Les Paul pups.....

Originally posted by Kelsey
    I can't tell what the volume pots are in my LP Studio, but the tone pots are 500K. I assume they use the same pots in the ES-137, and the Seth Lovers I just had installed in my ES-137 Classic are plenty full and bright as is -- a huge improvement in clarity, brightness, warmth and balance over the stock 490R/498T set. This upgrade on my ES-137 will most surely lead to an upgrade of the pickups in my LP Studio.
    Exactly!

When I came home today the first thing I did was to find the tone pots from my 95 LP standards and measure them. Right on! 480K and 495K!

Both linear!

B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by 247jamz
      Hi All,

I have a '93 Les Paul Custom, and I'd like to swap out the pickups, and this thread has some interesting comments...

First, what pickups are likely in my guitar?

Second, what role does the resistance of the pots play in the tone? I was going to buy an RS Guitarworks set of "True Tone" pots and capacitor set, and it comes with 500k pots. Their "Treble Tame" set is designed to work for guitars whose bridge pickup seems a bit bright (like mine), and this set has different pots (they don't give the value).

I feel my bridge pickup is too bright, I was going to swap out both pups, but maybe this Treble Tamer kit is what I need.

Anyone have any recomendations for a good set of replacement pups for a Les Paul? I want a warmer sound out of the bridge pickup. The neck pickup seems a little too warm, it tends to mush out a bit. When I set up my amp to sound good on the neck, I don't like the bridge, and vice vera. I don't think I need the high output of the bridge pickup, I think it measured 13.5k

BTW, my amp is a 30 watt Aiken Invader Mk I, 4 EL-84's, like an old Marshall. Power Tube distortion baby!

- Dave
      Luke gave great info!

What I'd do is:

0. Get a set of antiquities.

1. Get 4 CTS500K audio pots, and get some orange drop caps (3 or 4 from each uuf value - they are cheap) measuring 0.015; 0.022; 0.033 and 0.047. I expect that you'd like 0.047 in the bridge (the higher the uuf value the more highs cut off by your tone pot).

2. Get an ally tail from Pigtail. They are great! And wrap your strings on the ally tail. This softens the highs on the bridge.

B
      FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo
        Luke gave great info!

What I'd do is:

0. Get a set of antiquities.

1. Get 4 CTS500K audio pots, and get some orange drop caps (3 or 4 from each uuf value - they are cheap) measuring 0.015; 0.022; 0.033 and 0.047. I expect that you'd like 0.047 in the bridge (the higher the uuf value the more highs cut off by your tone pot).

2. Get an ally tail from Pigtail. They are great! And wrap your strings on the ally tail. This softens the highs on the bridge.

B

Wow it's a heady experience getting props from the Doctor....that man knows how to review!

I'm using an tonepros bridge, and Aluminum TP. That TP livened up my accoustic sound a bit too. More vintage sounding some say I don't care what it is I jut like it!

I wrap my strings over my TP and like the tone and feel maybe it softens the highs? Dr B.?

Luke
        “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

I tried the aluminum tail and to me it made the tone more vintage, open and brighter. You may like that. My tone is thicker and darker with the stock tailpiece.

I also have used .047 caps and it will also slightly darken the tone with everything on ten. Keep that in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike M.
            Hmmm. I know I recentley read somewhere that Gibson uses 300k pots on all LP Studios for volume and tone. But, maybe you're right. I'll have to check.
            The value of the CGE pots are 300k volume and 500k tone.

That was my reply from the customer service dept.

I have a 2003 Les Paul Studio

Comment

Originally posted by alouuu
              Well I've had the guitar for about 4-5 years now. I like the clean sounds coming from it, but not the distortion.

Our drummer has an SG with EMG's in it, and I love the way it sounds coming out of my dual rectifier/1960A cab...it makes me want to make that my main guitar...but I just cant let my love for the les paul go without a fight, this is why im thinkin about changin them out

I just put some EMG PUPS in my Les Paul the 81/85 set. I don't have them in their Custom positions 81 Bridge and 85 Neck, but rather 85 Bridge and 81 Neck. For Rock and Metal you can't go wrong. The 85 sounds GREAT in the bridge seems like a more mid range driven PUP. Also I would like to add that the 81 is great for the neck you can get really good cleans out of it as well. Lots of great guitar players use the 81 in the neck. The way I have it set up just seems more versatile to me! Also I never try to play any Rhythms in the neck position but I will with the 81 from time to time. For a little bit different depth.

If you were going to go with Duncans....I would choose either a DD, Custom, or CC in the bridge. If you want that 81 sound the DD will work.

Now that I have tried them both and sometimes drool over different combinations....

If I was to do it different from EMG I'll go with.

For a Les Paul CC in the Bridge and A2P, Jazz, or Pearly gate neck. Note I narrowed down the Custom Custom. I think that sounds like a versatile PUP. Anyone agree with this?

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY
                I personally don't care for the JB in a Les Paul. Don't get me wrong, it's a great pickup, but it just doesn't suit me personally. I think it's excellent for leads and cuts through the mix brilliantly. However, there's just something about it to me that it lacks on rhythms. I can't really put my finger on it, but it just seems kinda lifeless. Now a Duncan Custom is kind of the best of both worlds. It cuts through the mix on leads and is tight and full and everything in a Les Paul. Just my opinion.
                My exact opinion as well. Don't care for the JB in Les Pauls and other set mahogany neck, mahogany body guitars. Custom on the other hand does what the JB can, and cannot.
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonDavid
                  I just put some EMG PUPS in my Les Paul the 81/85 set. I don't have them in their Custom positions 81 Bridge and 85 Neck, but rather 85 Bridge and 81 Neck. For Rock and Metal you can't go wrong. The 85 sounds GREAT in the bridge seems like a more mid range driven PUP. Also I would like to add that the 81 is great for the neck you can get really good cleans out of it as well. Lots of great guitar players use the 81 in the neck. The way I have it set up just seems more versatile to me! Also I never try to play any Rhythms in the neck position but I will with the 81 from time to time. For a little bit different depth.

If you were going to go with Duncans....I would choose either a DD, Custom, or CC in the bridge. If you want that 81 sound the DD will work.

Now that I have tried them both and sometimes drool over different combinations....

If I was to do it different from EMG I'll go with.

For a Les Paul CC in the Bridge and A2P, Jazz, or Pearly gate neck. Note I narrowed down the Custom Custom. I think that sounds like a versatile PUP. Anyone agree with this?
                  Do you find the 85 sounds warm in the bridge and good clean? As thick and warm as say a Custom or JB? I am really curious your thoughts.

Thanks!

Comment

al i know is that after trying duncans in my one les paul the stock gibson pups are not too good
                    1957 RI gibson historic black beauty lester(DD/JAZZ)
                    2003 gibson zakk wylde custom shop lester (stock EMG)
                    1996 gibson lester custom(DD/59 neck)
                    1997 fender lone star (DD TB-6/duckbucker/lil 59)
                    Marshall ZW 2203 100 watt top
                    5150 block letter head
                    4 1960B marshall cabs

Comment

Yeah definately more warm and middy sounding. Right now I think it's perfect for what I like. Also the 81 sounds good in the neck too. I don't play too much clean though. Though when I do I don't dime the volume and I mess with the tone knobs. People forget about those

Comment

Originally posted by WICKED LESTER
                        al i know is that after trying duncans in my one les paul the stock gibson pups are not too good
                        Mudd at high volumes......though I could get some killer pinch harmonics out of the 498T.

Now I can get both P.H on bridge and Neck if I wanted(because of the 81N).
                        It's pretty neat to get a different heavy tone from a neck pup! With a little tweaking you can get a clean tone. You just have to fight a little to find it. People don't like that. I guess it's the good ole, fast food method of thinking they are stuck on.

Comment

Working...
                        X