Bridge-Neck question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge-Neck question

If im going to use a pickup that is for bridge..in my neck position..will i have to turn the pickup around ? if not, what kind of a change in the sound should i expect from the pickup if i DO turn it around ? thanks in advance

Re: Bridge-Neck question

its traditional to have the screw poles near the neck or bridge.
    what type of pup is it? some pups itll matter which way its installed, some itll have very little differance

Comment

Actually i have two pickups im thinking about using..a DiMarzio X2N and a DiMarzio Air Zone ( X2N is a twin-bar pickup )

Comment

It's definitely do-able. Some people do it with the JB. Just remember that since it is a bridge pup you'll need to closely monitor the pup's height when you first put it in.

Luke
        “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

cool reason im asking is because im looking for a high output neck pickup and i dont really see any seymour duncans that match the tone that i want heh

Comment

Originally posted by AStarUpInTheSky
            cool reason im asking is because im looking for a high output neck pickup and i dont really see any seymour duncans that match the tone that i want heh
            The tendency of neck pups to be lower output is due to the fact that the neck slot is an inherently darker position. The overwinding of a pup results in more midrange and bass which the neck slot already has.

Luke
            “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

oh so the same pickup will be darker in the neck than in the bridge no matter what ?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke
                The tendency of neck pups to be lower output is due to the fact that the neck slot is an inherently darker position. The overwinding of a pup results in more midrange and bass which the neck slot already has.

Luke
                That's a good suggestion for those who find the neck model too bright - for example the 59N (as it is mentioned in another thread) - use the bridge model (this should work for low/moderate output pickups which have neck & bridge versions)
                Of course it's also a question of the guitar (wood).
                Pickups... the final frontier.
                These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
                Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

maple neck, mahogany body, ebony fingerboard (24 fret) and im pretty sure they're nickle frets ( jumbo )

Comment

Astar,

Your neck slot will be slightly brighter than a 22 fret guitars neck slot due to the fact that the bucker is slightly closer to the bridge. I prefer the way neck pups sound in 24 fret guitars.

You've got a nice wood combo the maple neck and ebony board make a bright sound, snappy sound and the mahogany makes a dark sound. Nickel silver frets are going to be warmer than stainless steel frets due to their softness. So what we're looking at is a guitar with a bright sharp attack and a warm sustained sound. Sounds like a guitar I'm looking for (soloist mahog.)
                    If your neck pup sounds too dark look into an A5 magnet pup. For a bright, articulate neck pup you might want to look into the Jazz or Full Shred. For more of a vintage sound check out the 59, but it has more bass than the other two pups so beware of that.

Luke

Comment

im trying to get a bright sound out of my guitar without going brittle or glassy i guess. however i do want it to be versatile..i was thinking a bass / mid pickup in the neck and a treb / mid pickup in the bridge maybe something like a DD in the bridge and Invader in the neck, but i guess ill just buy a few pickups and see what works. i hope the wood combo works well its pretty much my dream guitar hehe

Comment

im trying to get a bright sound out of my guitar without going brittle or glassy i guess. however i do want it to be versatile..i was thinking a bass / mid pickup in the neck and a treb / mid pickup in the bridge maybe something like a DD in the bridge and Invader in the neck, but i guess ill just buy a few pickups and see what works. i hope the wood combo works well its pretty much my dream guitar hehe
                        The invader may sound muddy in a mahogany body. Even with the maple neck and ebony board.

I really think you'd be happy with a 59 in the neck if you really need the lows, b/c the 59 will have a lot of lows but it will also have a lot of highs to give you that chime. The jazz will give you more highs and mids and less bass. If you want lots of chime go with it.

The distortion will rip in the bridge...period.

Luke

Comment

ah thats cool thanks for the heads up, im kinda tryin to save cash where i can and im worried pickups is gonna be alot of it trying to find combos i want. i want my highs to have punch..and i want alot of harmonics, i think the distortion will do that for me im just havin a hell of a time with the neck. i think ill pick up the 59 and the distortion, do you have any info on the black/backs because i live in las vegas and ed roman guitars i know stocks them and ive heard they're kinda like 59's but a little stronger anyways just a thought.

Comment

ah thats cool thanks for the heads up, im kinda tryin to save cash where i can and im worried pickups is gonna be alot of it trying to find combos i want. i want my highs to have punch..and i want alot of harmonics, i think the distortion will do that for me im just havin a hell of a time with the neck. i think ill pick up the 59 and the distortion, do you have any info on the black/backs because i live in las vegas and ed roman guitars i know stocks them and ive heard they're kinda like 59's but a little stronger anyways just a thought.
                            MRID had some and wasn't impressed with them he thought they sounded like a C5 59 set. Either way I'd still like to hear them too. If I remember right Ed released them before there was a C5 so it's possible it IS a pre-C5, C5.

Luke

Comment

What about a pearly gates neck with an A-5 mag?
                              Pickups... the final frontier.
                              These are the voyages of the Seymour-Duncan Forum-Users.
                              Their continuing mission: to explore strange new pickup mods, to seek out new tones and new guitars, to boldly go where no mod has gone before.

Comment

Working...
                              X