Hey Evan! About those Phat Cats...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Evan! About those Phat Cats...

I noticed you were out there now, so I thought I'd try to grab your attention.

I'm toying with the idea of modding my Texas Special Strat (alder body, 1-pc maple neck) with new pickups. The modern American Series Strat tremolo bridge is a bit narrower than the vintage tremolo bridge, but it's still just over 2" wide at the bridge pickup. So my question is whether the Phat Cat bridge pickup and the SM series mini-humbuckers (SM-1 or SM-3) will line up well enough with the modern Strat bridge for good tone and good looks? Or should I stick with a Strat-style pickup or trembucker instead (the field is still pretty open).

BTW, do you know what SM-series mini-HB Joe Walsh is using (e.g., in his red Strat clone on the Crossroads DVD, playing with James Taylor).

Hope you see this, and thanks.

Re: Hey Evan! About those Phat Cats...

Hey Kelsey. If it's just over 2" at the bridge pickup, you may find that your E strings are on the outside of the pole pieces. It may look a little funky cosmetically, but I dout you'll get any drop-out.

You don't have to worry about the Mini-Humbuckers lining up because they don't have exposed pole pieces.

Joe uses the Antiquity Mini-Humbuckers, made for him by his old friend, Seymour.

I hope that helps.
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Re: Hey Evan! About those Phat Cats...

Thanks, Evan. The mini-HB that Joe Walsh was using on the Crossroads DVD had the SM-style cover with the SD logo stamped on it, which is why I thought it was an SM model. It sure sounded nice.

Is there any difference in the construction of the SM-1, SM-2, SM-3, and Antiquity Firebird mini-HBs that would argue in favor of one over the other for use in the bridge position of the aforementioned American Series Strat (e.g., better alignment and even tone at the high and low E's)?

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Working...
      X